Mesa Boogie Carbine m6 or m9

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by c4muzik, Apr 11, 2014.

1. c4muzik

c4muzik

Sorry if this has neen asked but withe the M9 now 600 watts Im left scratching my head. I have two 4X10 powerhouse cabs and was wondering if the m6 had enough to push both cabs. Right now Im playing an ampeg svt7 pro which is plenty loud. This head just isnt a mesa. I played a carbine and loved the tone. I was going to pick one up but im not sure if 600 would do. Guitarist plays loud as hell. I have my master at 3o'clock and my gain is at 11o'clock! By far loudest band Ive played in.
  2. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I tried an M9 with the powerhouse 412 and that slammed hard! You really seem to be pushing that 7 pro hard into those 410's. You could always try the Big Block 750. Really sweet mid controls on that amp too. My gut tells me that the 7 pro should be louder with your cabs but we have to remember there are watts and there are Mesa watts!
  3. c4muzik

c4muzik

Just loved the mesa tone! These cabs sound so much different with the carbine. Is the big block all tube?
  4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

No the BB is ahybrid "MPulse" with 1 tube driving the preamp and another driving the MOSFETS and a built in distortion channel. It's a great head but very different from the Carbines, which are clean, warm and brutally powerful. The M6 will be louder than the BB750. If you want the 750 sound in a more powerful format you'd be looking at a Titan-insanely loud. Personally, I'd prefer an M9 but...it's all good:p
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an early M6 (it actually says "Fathom" on the faceplate), and it just slams. My understanding is that after the tweaks to the M9, the usable output power of the M9 and M6 are pretty much in the same ballpark (which is "plenty" as they each have excellent burst power capabilities). If you don't need/want the graphic EQ or compressor, the M6 gets my nod.
  7. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog

I can't imagine an M6 wouldn't have enough power for you (when paired with good cabs). I know of only two loudness stages above it; empty colon, and deafness.

If you have real use for a compressor and/or graphic EQ, then spend the extra $250 and get the M9.
  8. c4muzik

c4muzik

Thanks for the info!
  9. Crabby

Crabby

I ended up selling my M9 because I simply never needed that much power. It had the capability to destroy the speakers in the Powerhouse412 I was using with it in an instant if not careful. I would not worry about a newer versions having less actual power then the original M6 and M9 models because they really were over the top powerwise.