Mesa Boogie D180 all tube amp!!!! These are super hard to find!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Baird6869, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Folks,

I love this head but the Jule Monique preamp is my tone. So much in fact that I have ordered a 2nd.

This amp sounds killer, but I really need to move some gear as I just have too much stuff.

These are very rare and sought after By bassists and guitarists. It is an all tube 200 watt amp that was produced in the early-mid 1980's and was the precursor to the Mesa Bass 400+. I say these are fairly rare as there was only approx 800 made. They are highly sought after and was used by Cliff Burton of Metallica. This was one of the very first few made ( serial #027) and apparently that with a serial number this low it would have been a custom order and one of the first produced (1980 likely).

This amp is very unique in the fact that it has two inputs and you can cascade the two inputs together so you can have either a normal gain through input one or cascade the two inputs together in input two and get extra overdrive (lots of info on here about this feature). You can also use this as a guitar amp and have a 200 watt beast.

In great shape with a little bit of rack rash from being used over the last 30 years. It is crazy loud loud and sounds huge. It has a great natural overdrive. A new set of power tubes (JJ 6L6) were installed late last year by the previous owner and an adjustable bias mod installed by a top tech.

I had this amp given the once over by my tech recently and it was given a clean bill of health. No issues at all and ready to gig.

Fantantic, rare, amp that sounds awesome. These rarely come up for sale.

No trades please.... I have to pay for my Monique and a Fodera.

I will ship (on your dime), but would prefer a local Toronto deal. I will be in Buffalo, Syracuse, Hoboken, NJ and New York City in March and could deliver for anyone willing to wait 6 weeks or so.

$725 plus shipping. PayPal ok.

I have a brand new (1 month old and mint) 4U Gator rack case that I might be willing to sell with the head as well.

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    Bump!

Interest but still available.
  3. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Sent you a PM
  4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

for those who are concerned about loudness, i used one of these at a museum 2 weeks ago, with the 2x115s volume was not an issue, and we played for 500 people
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Bump for a nice guy. Logistics are the only thing keeping this away from me :/
  7. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

These are KILLER amps! I had one with the five band EQ back in the mid '80's, and it was a powerhouse. Beautiful, warm sound, I preferred it over my SVT.
  8. d180fuzz

d180fuzz C21H30O2

Hey Baird - you have this backwards. Although it's true that the output of Channel 1 is fed to the input of Channel 2 to create the cascaded, high-gain preamp overdrive circuit, you actually need to plug into Input 1 to access that feature.

Channel 2 is the high-headroom "clean" side of the amp - running the Master at 10 and attenuating with the Volume 2 knob keeps the "constant current source" running properly, assuring super-clean bass tone.......unless, of course, you've got a proper pedal bludgeoning the front end...:D

Then there's that whole thing where you can drop the Master, crank the Volume, and fuzz-out at bedroom levels - or much, much more loudly.:bassist::bassist::bassist:

GLWTS!
  9. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

D180fuzz would know best! Very cool feature on this amp if you like the fuzz and grit. And this is the cleanest looking D180 I've ever seen and at a solid price. GLWTS, DM
  10. Baird6869

Disclosures:
    This is off to L.A.

Thanks all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.