1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mesa Boogie Diesel 118 Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by theholeinthings, Apr 9, 2014.

1. theholeinthings

theholeinthings

I can't seem to find too much literature on the Mesa Boogie Diesel 118 cab. I know the 115 version is well liked around here but what about the 118? I have been in the market for a cab to pair with my Mesa Powerhouse 212 and I might have an opportunity to get the 118 Diesel. Any ideas on how the 118 might sound with my current 212? I use a GK 800rb to power it. Thanks.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

As always, the best cabinet to add is one identical to the first. If you like what you have now a second will just give you more of it. Mismatched cabinets can work BUT you'll have to find that out for yourself. Mostly though they tend to clash.

3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I rock a pair of EV TL505's which are basically the inspiration behind the TL Diesels.

Assuming the original EV's like I have, the cab(s) doesn't go particularily low, starts to beam pretty soon just like all 18" s and obviously weighs a metric ton.

I like the sound that pair of cabs gives me with a tube amp, but if I was to pair a TL505 it with anything else than the same cab, I'd bi-amp it through a cross over.

Regards
    Sam

4. catgut

catgut

You're going to just have to try it. I use an EV-15L Diesel paired with 210 EV Diesel and it sounds great. Others also use a Mesa 210x115 setup. I use this usually in studio to get the 10 and the 15 on mic. I usually play shows with 2x15's or a 410 or 2x410's depending on venue. I really have never seen anyone play 2x18's. I would think a vertical stack of 118 and 210 would be pretty killer. You can't do that with your powerhouse though. Just try it. Listen to TB'ers with one ear. Keep the other one to yourself and do it if you dig it. C'mon go punk.

5. Register to disable this ad