1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mesa boogie diesel speaker replacement question..

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by infect, Jan 8, 2008.

1. infect

infect

I have an early 90's mesa boogie diesel 1x15 that I'm considering replacing the speaker in. Thing is, I want an exact replacement. Does anyone know what was in these? Would I have to pull the old speaker out to figure it out? Here's a pic:

[​IMG]
  2. morebass!

morebass! Supporting Member

EV (Electrovoice) 15L. They came in 200 and 400 watt versions and sound great. I don't think they still make them but I've seen them on Ebay.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    EV 400 watt 8 ohm.
    No reason not to re-cone what's in there.

The Eminence 3015 Kappalite neo is what I put in mine; but, it came with a blown Bheringer 200 watt 4 ohm-ick!
    Saves weight, sounds great; get it from BLT Sound...
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    More likely a 15B. The L was the guitar version.
  5. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Bill, I won't argue with a man with your credentials...but my understanding is that Mesa bass cabs from that era, came with a 15L, regardless of what the B and L stand for. At least the two I bought did.

infect, If it was mine I'd recone the stock speaker and it'll be good for another 10-20 years -or more.
  6. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    That's by 15 standards a small box. And a Em Kappalite 3015 (not the LF version!) would do better than most in there and shave some weight too.
  7. infect

infect

I may do that :) Thanks for all the help.
  8. rodl2005

rodl2005

GREAT SPKRS!!! I got one in my EV TL cab. got it from Mesa. 15" 400w EV -I think it was called Black Shadow??? would that be right???
  9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's certainly possible, but would not have been the wisest move on Mesa's part to have done so, as in the same size cab the L has 3dB less sensitivity/output below 150 Hz, the equivalent of halving power.
  10. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

I don't know, and I don't have anywhere near your knowledge about these things...but I'll give a call to Mesa - might provide the answer either way.
    Other than reading the "specs" on the cabs when I bought them, I can't prove it either way. It's been a few years (like 13-15) and I have nothing in writing. The back of the speaker magnets have a series of numbers which I haven't been able to decipher.
  11. RockBobby

RockBobby Supporting Member

I couldn't make sense out of it either, but all the Mesa Diesel cabs came with the EV15L. The P1000 I use has one. I tried a Kappa 15Pro in there and blew it so the EV went back in and all is well. IMU that the L & B were the same except the ribbed cone was on the L and it extended higher freq. and the low end was identical. The B had a smooth cone.
  12. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

That's the way I recall it, too, but for the life of me I can't remember where I got that information, other than the sales literature back then.
    Where did you get this information?
  13. RockBobby

RockBobby Supporting Member

The guy that used to repair/recone speakers at New England Speaker in Stoneham, MA
  14. morebass!

morebass! Supporting Member

+1 my diesel 2x15 came with 15L drivers. It's not a real bassy tone. It's more about full, cutting mids.