1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mesa Boogie M3 Carbine - 7 different Basses Comparisson!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JohanSegeborn, Dec 4, 2013.

1. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Hi!

How does the Mesa Carbine series hold up to Mesa Big block and Prodigy and Ampeg SVT? In this clip I'm trying out the Mesa Boogie M3 Carbine Combo with 7 different basses:

2. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

Need to view this when it isn't bed time. ;)

3. njjazzman2002

njjazzman2002 Supporting Member

Johan-
    Enjoyed your video...top notch quality! Split screen with local scenes made it even more interesting. I liked the '73 Precision the best...but they all sounded good through your M3 Combo.

4. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Thanks njjazzman! Cheers Johan

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Thanks for the great video. Excellent sound quality - about the best I've heard on YouTube.

Jeez, all the basses sounded really nice, but each distinct. Just wondering: What was the setting of their volume and tone controls? And what were the control settings on the amp (which really sounded good). Do you think that the some of the basses could have been made to produce a similar tone by adjusting volume/EQ, or do I have to buy a few more basses? :>)

Strings contribute substantially to the tone of an instrument. How much of the distinct tone from these instruments was due to strings?

It sounded like the amp was adjusted for a little overdrive tone. How would the comparison have turned out with the amp adjusted for a 'clean' tone.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    EB-2 rocks hard! They all did, but that one especially shines with distortion. No idea how that amp compares to the other Mesas and the SVT since you cranked distorto, but I once got supplied an M6 combo on a cruise ship. Other than being a little tight and bright for my tastes, I got a good sound out of it, and it certainly beat most cruise ship amps I've gotten.