1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mesa Boogie M9 Megathread: Pt II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I'm in, too! and THIS thread is la deuxième partie, LOL!
  4. Chef

Disclosures:
    ahhh yes, well played;)
  5. Jim Carr

KJung from "la première partie:"
    I am wondering if you found it possible to tame the brute with the GEQ, tone knobs, deep switch, or Voice switch tweaks? A fEARful 15/6 is on my gas list, and I need a cab that plays nice with pet dragons. :eek:
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It sounded amazing, but was a bit too brittle up top for me personally. I was not able to tame that with the treble control, but again, it was the M6 not the M9 that I was checking out. However, I assume the M9 graphic would be perfect to smooth that out a bit.

I'll tell you what, one of the things I don't quite like about the Carbines is that super deeply voiced low end, where there seems to be very little hi passing or whatever. It is a 'speaker destroyer', even with the bass rolled back a bit and 'not extended' with that low end extension push/pull! However, that amazing 3015LF driver took it without flinching.

You surely wouldn't need a 15/6/1 with the M9, but the 15/6 seems like it was literally made for the Carbine heads, as long as you like it 'big and bright' in general.
  7. Chef

Disclosures:
    I never, ever use the deep switch.
    Man, this amp is fat enough already!
    In fact, that's mostly why I moved from M6, to M9: so I can permanently cut low end with the GEQ.
    In fact, I run a "bit of a frowny face" on the GEQ...

I personally need a horn, and didn't like the 15/6 I had because of that.
    But, the top end on this is easily managed by:
    trim shelving treble a bit
    trim at the GEQ if you need more
    passive tone on your pass
    horn attenuator.

several ways to get there, IMO...

I like a pretty bright tone, for clarity; and, "I want to hear those rounds," but, I don't like ganky finger, string, strings smacking into the end of the fingerboard noise...ymmv, etc.
  8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

As I have posted before, M9 on my LDS 15-6 is depth, defined. Articulate thunder, if you will. I have never been able to get the master beyond noon, which was at the largest venue this weekend garage (garbage??, LOL) warrior ever played (last year in a hotel ballroom for 300 guests). My ears give out before either head or cab, even with plugs.
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 The M6 has enough ooomph to drive almost any cab to full performance, but I find the EQ very limiting unless you love that super aggressive, mega bright upper mid response and HUGE (I would say a bit uncontrolled) low end.

The M9's added graphic would seem to be perfect to control both that upper mid mega spike and the bit of looseness in the low end voicing of that platform.

Impressive amp, and again, seems literally made for the 15/6 cabs.
  10. Jim Carr

I am with you on hearing the rounds, Chef, though I am often going darker, and do pull the deep switch. Clean and clear are still my watch words, but I want serious heft, too, for one of my current projects—which is entirely 4-string, BTW.

Instead of a frown, I have more of a ski hill, that rises from +-0 db at 33 Hz, crests at 150 Hz, and descends quickly to the valley floor at 2k Hz (wheee!) to -∞ db. A pic helps:

[​IMG]
  11. Chef

Disclosures:
    Man, those settings, plus the deep switch, would have me fearing for my speakers at much of a volume level.
    That's *phat* baby....!!!
  12. Jim Carr

I am running the bass cut a bit, mids bumped a bit, treble usually flat or cut a but, and the compressor is on. Voice 4 active. Here is a clip recorded DI to an H4 of my RW Jazz. The bass is wide open and wearing DR lo-riders (with apologies for the lame GarageBand B-section and my amateur organ playing (play it loud with good speakers) http://www.jamescarr.net/reggae/Bei_Mir_Bistu_Shein.3.mp3
  13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Dub-a-licious! The 15/6 will get you there live all the way. That cab is perfect for that sort of round, 'dubby but not flubby' tone. The Streamliner has that sort of low end built into it also (without any EQ)... that round and fat but not flubby thing, if you are looking for a lightweight alternative to use on occasion, and it sounds KILLER with the 15/6 also. It won't have that super deep low end of the M9 with the bass extension engaged though.

Nice clip.
  14. slap5string

slap5string

I'm running a Sansamp RPM in front of the M9 -> Mesa Powerhouse 610. AWESOME! All of my tone shaping is set flat with the EQ off, a bit of compression. The M9 is clean and deep even set flat!
  15. Jim Carr

Thanks for the kind words—it means a lot coming from a clipmeister (in a good way) like you, Ken.

"Round and fat but not flubby" sums it up. Whew! Seems like I have gas for a fEARful 15/6, a Barefaced Big Twin, and a Thunderchild all at once now.

Oh well, at least my M9 is home and working...but it makes me want to find more extreme uses for it! :D
  16. svp

svp Supporting Member

I shipped my M-9 yesterday serial#161, Rich said the upgrades should cure the problem I was having being loss of output signal he said was due to thermal induced shutdown. Rich said I should be without the amp all total 1 month (I'm keeping my fingers crossed), they are paying all shipping. I'll give Mesa credit they didn't dodge the issue or hesitate at all.
  17. Crabby

Crabby

I actually do use the deep switch with my PH412 cab at moderate volumes but just don't need any added low end when she's putting out the serious volume. I have quite enjoyed messing with the graphic for warmer more mid present tones but I don't generally have it engaged. Preset #4 gets a lot of use and I love the fact that the input volume can be pushed a bit and still yield a clean tone but with some gorgeous harmonics added in.

One of the nicest features of the M9 is the compressor. I use it sparingly to add a little punch and to protect the speakers from too much aural assault at higher volumes. The comp does add a nice clarity and punch to the sound. Its dead simple to use and really is one of the nicest built in comps I have ever used. I pretty much don't use my pedal board anymore with the M9.
  18. L.A. BASS

L.A. BASS

I have a M9+PH410 4ohm bass cabinet and use a Music Man Stingray 4 string Bass and have used this rig on every stage size from the corner bar to large outdoor festival stages and can say that this bass rig can beyond cover any live musical situation you can thow at it... As a weekend warrior with over 30 years of giging experience under my belt, I have learned that I actually need more volume in my rig than a world stage touring musican because you don't always have the luxury of being run through the house system and or a monitor mix... When it's just you against the guys and a P.A. on a stick in a large field or a street festival or a large convention room, you have to be able to keep up with the pack and not worry about not having the fire power when you need it...

This bass rig is as versatile as any bass rig you could find, and at the end of the day, it does it's job without breaking a sweat which is more than I can say for myself... It's esthetics are truly amazing and the compact size of the entire bass rig are a plus for fitting it and my P.A.(Bass players always own the P.A.) in my Honda Element without any trouble... There will always be a discussion group on what gear is the flavor of the week... But when you get down to the real question's:

"Does it sound like the bass sound that I want to be identified by as my sound? And, will it work flawlessly and dependably gig after gig"

When you can answer yes to these question, you have arrived at the Mesa Boogie Bass Rig of your dreams...
  19. Scott McArron

Scott McArron Supporting Member

Good news for my sick M9. Just a loose grounding screw on the preamp. Kept getting looser overtime so started sounding worse. Super easy fix! Glad I didn't ship it out and got it fixed locally, because the shipping probably would have cost more than the fix and I'll have it for tomorrow night's gig.
  20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Mine is back and slammin, after a new tube and replacement of the fuse holder.