1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mesa Boogie, Part 3

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

back in.....with Livin' Room Lovely and my personal pet dragon...

Attached Files:

h2otorched likes this.
  4. stjohn1299

stjohn1299 Supporting Member

Sub'd!

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Stage Rig:
    [​IMG]

Practice Rig:
    [​IMG]

:D

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

From the last thread:

This is a bummer. I was drooling over the Mesa gallery of custom cabs right before I read this, thinking about doing up a new 2X12 in custom tolex with a different grill, to pair with my Walkabout head. I understand the higher cost of neo speakers is driving this change, but Mesa should really update the specs so folks know what they're getting.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Used to own a bunch of Mesa cabs as well, and my beloved Buster, but these 2 are it for now. Both 300 watts, but couldn't be more different otherwise.

Attached Files:

9. rayzak

rayzak

My Titan...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My old 400+:bassist:

[​IMG]

10. rayzak

rayzak

Great Rigs:bassist: Great room!:cool:

11. Mrfstop

Mrfstop Supporting Member

Decisions Decisions???
    I rolled my LE warwick dirty blonde to raise the cash to buy a brand new Mesa cab.
    Not I have about $1,400 burning a big fat hole in my pocket.
    I just do not know which cab to burn it on?
    I honestly just do not want to lay down for one and then not like it or wish for something else.
    Want to do this right the first time and be psyched about my choice.
    ughhhhhhhh. Frustrating to not have all of the cabs in a local store to plug and play.

Seems like all of you guys are united for the most part with not mixing driver sizes...Everyone seems to say do not mix a PH210 with a PH115.
    Or do not do a PH410 with a PH115.
    I called Mesa in cali yesterday and spoke to one of their guys.
    He said completely the opposite.
    He suggested doing that as being the most versatile option.
    And also swore by their PH1200 cab. Saying it is their best selling cab, etc....
    Sooooooooooo needless to say, NOW I am even MORE confused which route to take???
    hahahaha!! too funny.

There IS a new PH215 sitting at the local music store calling my name....Just because it is easy and 15 minutes down the road :D
    An online musicstore has one new PH412 left in stock and will split shipping with me at only $50 my cost to ship it.
    And of course Bass Central has a bunch listed as in stock for full shipping cost from FL. to NY.

I now have this minty Mesa M-Pulse 600 sitting here that I JUST got the other day and badly want to finish this deal off and snag a Mesa PH cab.
    ( it actually does not sound bad running it through my GK 115 & 410 which is listed for sale along with the GK head that I replaced. )

Been reading like 50 pages of threads in the Mesa club part 1 and 2 trying to figure out my best options? hmmmmmmmmm........

12. klejst

klejst

I have not got around to taking a better photo yet so this cell pic will have to do for now. Here is my Mesa/Boogie PowerHouse 6x10 cab. Simply amazing and the thing rocks!

[​IMG]

13. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie-Spector Bass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups
  14. Crabby

Crabby

Go try that 215, I would be all over that! Otherwise, the 412 you mentioned would be outstanding. I own one and just adore it.

15. stingray96191

stingray96191

Disclosures:
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Forget about all of it, and get a walkabout...

Seriously.. Or i can get you a deal on a 2x12 Mesaboogie Airhead you can put your 600 in and Sound gigantic.
    Big Big cabs=Big Big Tone, but they also equal Big Backaches.

Erin

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yup - go try the 215, and if it doesn't absolutely floor ya, order the 412... I would pass on the 1200... I've owned the PH610, and currently own the PH215 and PH810, and have played the PH412, PH1000, and PH1200 plenty of times, FWIW...

Also, make sure to bring your M-p600 when you check out the 215 - and don't be afraid to try different settings... I can cop an awful lot of sounds with my M-p600 and PH215...

- georgestrings

17. Mrfstop

thanks

18. Mrfstop

yeah right?
    well the 600 is sitting here already.
    So the walkabout is not happnin.
    The 600 seems cool.
    Not sure if it is 100% working properly?
    Have 30 days with GC to decide, before the 30 day policy they have expires.
    The parametric EQ poses some questions?
    Need download the manual and do some head scratching.

19. Mrfstop

thanks man!
    From my initial road test of the MP600 running it through the only cabs I have. A GK 410 and a G115 ran together.
    I find the amp does lows, low mids...and mids REALLY ballsy and awesome.
    And does not really have a lot of mid high or high to offer up.
    That is even when messing with the parametric EQ settings.
    THAT, is what scares me about buying a PH215 and using this head.
    Just seems to make more sense in this regard that it might inherently get a bit of help running it through the smaller punchier 12's. Worried this amp will get mucky and dull with the slower larger drivers I guess.

You are right about lugging the giant head up to the store and trying the PH215 with it, rather than whatever Mesa heads they have laying around in the store for sure. Might actually drag one of my basses as well.

20. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I own both the PH1200 and the PH412, and can tell you from my personal experience with both of them, they're both great cabs. I hear a lot of people hearing that these PH1200's aren't nearly as good sounding of a cab as the PH412, 810, 610, etc, but I bought one after testing it out, and it's so far been a great cab. I haven't plugged into my Avatar 212 since I got this cab, and I really loved my Avatar. I find myself finding very useable tones out of this cab, and would honestly recommend it to anyone looking for a loud, big cab.

I really prefer the big cabs, I leave my PH412 at the rehearsal space and this cab is the real deal! I've had it a few months longer then my PH1200, and it's seen band practices where as the PH1200 hasn't yet, but I have no doubts that you'll be happy with either cab.

I'd recommend the PH412 for the money, the PH1200 is a lot tougher to move around as it's around the same weight in a smaller size, it's tougher to tilt and roll, and it doesn't have the recessing handles on the very bottom of the cab like the PH412.

21. stingray96191

stingray96191

Disclosures:
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    I really do have a couple of Mesa Boogie 2x12 4 ohm airheads hanging out in my attic. They do sound huge. But I seriously get the best tone from a walkabout. My practice room amp is a big block Titan. I would take it to shows, but it's too heavy with the 4x12.. And I drive a 2 door Volvo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.