1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mesa/Boogie Titan V12 megathread!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Krügmeister, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Krügmeister

Krügmeister

I didn't see a thread dedicated to such a monster amplifier.
    Let's share ideas, reviews and tips regarding this megabeast
  2. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

I don't own one yet, but I'm going to be watching this thread.
  3. Crabby

Crabby

I only have a Big Block so I guess I can't play! :(
  4. rayzak

rayzak

Count me in! I love this amp. I'd love to hear some favorite settings discussions. Especially dealing with mids. I actually got rid of my EH Little Big Muff and my Homebrew Hematoma Fuzz/OD pedals, because I love the built in distortion on the Mesa so much. Here's a pic of mine..... even though you all know what it looks like. I love this cabinet, but I still can't help but wonder about how it would sound thru a Mesa 4x12.

[​IMG]

Also, this is an older thread, but it's about the mighty Titan... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476687&highlight=titan
  5. mournblade

mournblade

LOL, I was thinking of doing the same thing, mainly to get other people's take on settings for this beast! Here is my settings: Titan into GK Neo 4x12 Gain at 3 o'clock, Bass 3 o'clock, Passive Mids 3:30, Active mid freq ~1k, active mid volume 3:30, treble 9 o'clock, master volume about 7:30. Gives a nice growly tone, especially when I dig into it.

My boom stack with the old cabinet:

[​IMG]
  6. Krügmeister

Krügmeister

I swapped out the stock tubes for some JJ gold pins, seems like it opened up a bit more, i run it pretty flat and this head simply slays
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's mine, with a few friends.

[​IMG]
  8. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Supporting Member

I know it's a bit off-topic, but...

When I was looking for a replacement 12" speaker for an older Peavey BASIC 112, I wanted a 4 ohm, thus giving me a 70 watt combo amp. MESA's Powerhouse line had just the ticket - an Eminence made Neo-mag. Running through a Character Series VT gives this nicely sized combo plenty of b@ll$ for basement jams, even with a loud drummer. Thanks MESA!

X8
  9. Krügmeister

Krügmeister

Whoa, I bet the Titan sounds insane through those 215
  10. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    Yup! I really dig it through the PH610, as well.
  11. Krügmeister

Krügmeister

[​IMG]

The OD channel seems to warm up an already warm tone... this amplifier is insane!
    Anyone know the current draw/watts it takes to power this baby up?
  12. rayzak

rayzak

So Tom, when are we going to get your full review in Bass Gear?;) Last I heard, you were shooting for Issue #4. Well, I don't see it:p
  13. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    We had a ton of content lined up for #4, and I had to trim some out. As it stands, we are planning on a good bit of Mesa/Boogie content in #5... :ninja:
  14. rayzak

rayzak

Nice! I know the M-line gets much of the attention around here, but at least a snippet on the Titan would be great... IMHO, of course;):smug:
  15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Best bass amp ever. Mine runs into an Aguilar GS412. I've settled in on passive mid back around 10 o'clock with a boost at 200hz on the active mid. Bass flat or cut a little. Highs flat or boosted a little depending on the bass.

For channel 2 I do the same but cut the mids a bit more, boost the highs a couple clicks, and have the overdrive on set for a significant but not ever the top level of breakup (i still have to hit hard to get it to really grind).

My cover band has been playing Tool's Stink Fist, my Sadowsky 4 with DR hi-beams tuned to drop D on channel 2 played with a Dunlop .88mm pick makes it the highlight of my evening. I'm going to have to suggest more dirt songs :bassist:

But the amp is incredible clean too. Huge and immediate, with no flab, but never sterile.
  16. rayzak

rayzak

Nice!! I have an Aggie GS212 that I plug into now and then(though usually power that cab with a GK700RBII), and love that combo as well. I've pondered many-a-time about trying to get the 412 version. I bet it's silly thunderous.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Titan between the Aggie 412 and the Mesa 412?
    The main reason I haven't acquired a 412(also very interested in a 215 setup), is because of the size. The Berg NV425 has 115 x 310's and handles the amp pretty well, although the Titan can really push it to the edge.... but for the size/ease of maneuvering, the NV cabs can't be beaten.

Hey Tombowlus, have you run your Titan through your Berg NV cabs? I'd love to hear your opinion on the Bergs vs the Mesa cabs with the Titan. If you haven't, drop what you're doing, go do it, and get back with me ASAP!;):p Between your job, magazine, and TB'rs bombarding you with questions, how do you find the time to play?
  17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

IME the BB750 I test drove could reproduce the barely overdriven Walkabout tone I love (on its' clean channel) and AFAIK the Titan is basically a pair of Siamese BB750s. If it didn't weigh more than the M9 I might've gone in that direction. Sounds like the head of heads for me.
  18. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    Yes, I have, and it is a great combination! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

I need to do some more back and forth, but with the NV cabs being sealed, and the Mesa's being ported, that's a lot of what I am hearing - the difference between the tight, controlled punch of the sealed NV's and the somewhat more open, but also growly character of the Diesel 215 and PH610.

Or sleep... or eat... or visit with my wife and kids... :help:
  19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Yes, but also perfectly sensitive and versatile. I LOVE the way the 412 sounds at lower volumes.

Here is my take on Aggie vs Mesa 12s, I'm convinced that the 112 differences would scale up to the 212 and 412. For me, the Aggie GS is a no brainer for the 412. At 116lbs its one of the easiest transporting cabs I've ever had. Tilt and roll is the only way to fly.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360302
  20. rayzak

rayzak

I don't know what's more incredible: You, finding enough time in a day to fullfill your responsiblilties, or:
    your wife putting up with your busy @$$ :p