1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Combo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RBX4, Oct 14, 2011.

1. RBX4

RBX4

I'm interested in this amp for solo practice, does any1 know how loud the fan is? I find it very annoying when the fan is too loud when practicing! :)

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

The Walkabout fan is loud compared to others. If you are sensitive to it you can swap the fan for a quieter one (costs about 10 bucks). I found it annoyed me at 1st, but I quickly stopped caring 'cause I love the tone so much. BTW, if you search, you'll find a huge bank of info on this topic.

3. RBX4

RBX4

Cool! Thanx!

4. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I can hear it when the amp is on. But as soon as I start playing (even alone at home) it doesn't other me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pudgychef

pudgychef

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

The guy who turned me on to the Walkabout plays in a jazz band. He told me the fan on his was too loud. Then he talked to his band mates, who told him to turn it up. Problem solved.

I've never particularly noticed the fan noise on mine.

8. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

Never noticed the fan on mine, but IMO the Scout is overkill for solo practice. Amongst other reasons, it really shines when it's pushed.

I'd go for something more modest, like an Ibanez Promethean, which has the added bonus of headphone out and AUX in.

9. RBX4

RBX4

Is it a tube amp?

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I agree. My Walkabout is at its best when it's turned up. The very best tone I ever got out of it was at an outdoor gig. I have a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T for small venues and practice. And when the M/B is turned up, you won't hear fan noise.

11. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

No - it's solid state, but FWIW it's on the warm side.

Also, like the Scout, the head is removable.

12. lomo

I use one for solo practice and I love it. It's obviously more than needed for that application, but sounding good helps inspire me to play more, and gives me more pleasure out of playing

13. RBX4

RBX4

Thinking about getting that new Carvin 210 combo, a tube amp and a good deal

14. lomo

You'll certainly save a lot of bread by doing that as compared to the Mesa. Whether you'll be as happy with the tone and performance and whether the savings are worth it is a matter only you can decide.

15. pudgychef

pudgychef

wow! That is a hell of a practice amp......is there an 'I'm jealous as that combo amp is worth twice as much as everything I take on stage at gigs combined smiley?'

16. RBX4

RBX4

Well I use to play the swr workingpro 12 and that took a crap during a storm. I'm currently playing a peavy max 112 it's good cheap but not top notch.. Good small amp but I wanna play top notch! :)

17. lomo

If you want top notch then IMHO the Carvin 210 combo is not the way to go. The WA is a top notch combo that is powerful enough for small gigs as well, and it can be expanded with an extension cab (or by removing the head, which takes a screwdriver and 1 minute, and putting it on a larger cab) to play medium venues.

18. RBX4

RBX4

WA meaning Warwick?

19. RBX4

RBX4

WA meaning Warwick?

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

21. RBX4

RBX4

Oops, lol