1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mesa Bottle Rocket not really true bypass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmusic17, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Ok so I use a Mesa Bottle Rocket as my always on OD. This pedal is fantastic. The only problem is my band wanted to cover some Pink Floyd tunes. So I thought I'd go with a clean tone for the first time in forever.

The problem is when I turn the Mesa off I am experiencing major tone loss. Is it possible this pedal isn't really true bypass which Mesa advertises?

What other factors could be at play here?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you are using a passive bass, and let's say two 18' long cables from bass to pedal and pedal to amp, then every time you switch the pedal off, the capacitive loading from the cables doubles, resulting in tone loss.

3. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

The pedal is in the middle of the signal chain. All my other pedals do not have this problem if I take the mesa off the board. They all sound how expected even if i leave it on the board with the mesa on. With it on the board and turned off is a completely different story though. That's when I notice the tone loss.

4. Veldar

Veldar

Take the lazy approach and get a bypass looper.

5. Register to disable this ad