1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mesa D-180 Guitar Thread

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jan 3, 2014.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Anyone use or have experience with their D-180 for guitar? I just wanted to start this thread since there is very little info about it online.

I think it's a cool guitar amp. You can get some insane clean headroom out of it with some pretty nice sparkle. It's a bit "strong" but seems very "accurate" in terms of pitch and detail and all that.

Settings like this work well for me:

Master: 10
    Gain1: 2
    Gain2: 2-3 (volume to taste, gets Loud)
    Treble: 6.5-7
    Mid: 4
    Bass: 7-8
    Graphic: Don't usually need to engage

The gain can get pretty nasty- coarse, gritty, powerful. The low end part of the gain doesnt break up much (probably nature of the amp since it's a bass amp) while the upper mids can get pretty cutting/blazing. I've tried to get soft/light breakup... it seems to just want to go all out. I havent used the D180 as a "platform" for pedals (ODs, distortion, etc) but I bet it would be legit.

Please share your thoughts and recordings (if any).
  2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

Note that with the master on 10 the d-180 has a super-special clean mode. You'll notice a funny little thwap sound as you roll the master past 9. If you want to OD then turn the master down just slightly to hear a very different animal.