Mesa M-2000 2 load, extra cooling?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mykk, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Mykk

Mykk

Hey,

On the back of my M-2000 is says "Recommended 4 ohm load, 2 ohm minumum"

I was experimenting this eve and I plugged my two 4Ω cabs in parallel to the head and I love what it did to the voicing of the rig. Sounds really good.

I am nervous about keeping it this way long term, or using it this way for a show. What is the biggest downfall of 2Ω loads, the heat?

The Mesa M-2000 has what I consider to be a puny cooling fan pushing air from front to rear through a heat sink tunnel. Can I upgrade this cooling design and maintain a safe long term 2Ω operation?

I'm sure I can install a beefier 110v cooling fan (within physical size limits), I also know that a puller fan works much better to dissipate hot air out instead of pushing cooler air into the unit. In the automotive world, when I build a hot rod I usually use a high CFM puller electric fan with a shroud behind the radiator and I never have any cooling issues, even with undersized radiators and oversized supercharged engines.

Am I on the right track here? I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks guys. Cheers~Mykk

2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Your completely on track. I mod many of my amps to get better cooling, especially if I want to run down to two ohms. You M2000 will be much better off with the fan direction reversed and perhaps a higher volume fan if you can get one. I'd try to find one that runs off the same voltage as the stock one though...

All solid state amps will run longer, with less problems, and in some cases even louder when properly cooled. I run my Mesa Walkabout at 2 ohms all the time but took extra precautions to allow better air flow through it.

3. Mykk

Mykk

The 115v cooling fan arrived, I removed the Mesa's original internal fan and mounted the larger high flow unit to the back of the case.

Please excuse my poor cell phone pics:

[​IMG]
    (the mounting screws have been flipped so the threads are now inside the case)

The now external cooling fan has a separate power plug going to the power conditioner. I like this idea because I can turn off the amp and the cooling fan will keep going until I turn off the power conditioner.

With the new fan sucking air through the head I get enough vacuum at the front grill to suck in this piece of paper from roughly 3" in front of the unit. Before with the original fan there was not enough vacuum to hold the paper to the front grill.

[​IMG]

4. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Nice work! I'm sure you just did your M2000 a world of good in the long run. Did you reverse the direction of the stock fan so both fans work in tandem or did you remove it altogether?

I'd love to see better pics of the inside of that amp. I've always wanted one but could never afford it. Now, I can afford it but they're discontinued and somewhat heavy by today's standards. I'd still love to get one one day. More pics!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mykk

Mykk

I removed it all together, it kept the front to back airflow like original just with more efficiency.

A pic from when I was tube rolling:

[​IMG]

The whole rig on stage:

[​IMG]

I have been wanting this model bass head since I was 16 (I'm now 30) , when this one came up on EBay for a great price I had to grab it.

7. jastacey

jastacey

Here is a view when I had a M-2000 amp ..... it was the most hissy amp I ever had

[​IMG]
    P1000970 by jastacey128, on Flickr

8. Mykk

Mykk

That's a shame. I use regularly two M-2000's. One at the rehearsal studio and my own, both sound great without any added noise.