Mesa M Pulse 600 DI question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brattbugg@sbcgl, Nov 5, 2012.

1. brattbugg@sbcgl

brattbugg@sbcgl Supporting Member

I have an M Pulse 600 that I run direct with the built in DI. Why does the main volume control on the amp change the level that is going to the board? Shouldn't the preamp section be the only level being sent? Weather it's pre or post? My GK 1001 rb was not affected by the main volume. Is this something that sounds right or do I have something set wrong?

2. KJung

KJung

This is an unfortunate 'side effect' of the Mesa line of amps. They use a 'driver tube' right before the power amp section, which results in them putting the DI output AFTER the master volume.

Ridiculous design IMO, and it makes their DI's relatively useless for live performance unless you have a VERY understanding front of house person.

Great amp. If the DI thing bothers you enough to dump the amp, the closest thing on the market (clean, big, all tube tone emulation) is IMO the Streamliner 900. Not all the bells and whistles, but in the tone universe of the MPulse600 IMO and IME.

3. brattbugg@sbcgl

Ah that makes sense then. I think ill just deal with it. I really like the amp. Do the carbines have the same thing going?

4. KJung

KJung

Not sure on the Carbines. They do not have that 'power amp driver' tube, and sound much more solid state and bright. Very different vibe from the organic, fat MPulse600 and the super warm and punchy Walkabout (which is part of the MPulse line.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

....or you simply set your volume for a gig and don't change it.

7. KJung

KJung

+1 There are obvious workarounds. The master volume knob is pretty much the only knob I ever touch on a gig, and the first thing that most 'pro' sound persons ask when I ask them if I can use my amp's DI out is to make sure that volume changes on stage don't impact the DI. Not a good thing if you are dealing with 'hired guns' on the board IMO.

8. brattbugg@sbcgl

Well we run our own sound from the stage, so I pretty much set it and forget it. I was just wondering if I was doing it wrong.

9. KJung

KJung

You are good to go then!

10. brattbugg@sbcgl

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

A couple of things - as someone who owns both the M-pulse 600 and a Streamliner, I'd agree that they do sound pretty similar to one another...

However, I haven't had any problems/complaints with soundmen and the DI send from my M-pulse 600, and I've probably done around 150 gigs with it... I typically run a post-EQ DI send, set my Pre Gain around 1 o'clock, Bass @ 2 o'clock, Mid and Treble @ Noon, Master @ 10 o'clock, and DI level @ Noon... For the most part, my Master volume doesn't get moved much, if any after soundcheck, though - but I sometimes tweak my Pre Gain to offset any output level differences between basses I happen to be using that night... None of the soundmen I've worked with have ever said anything to me, even if I did have to adjust my levels during a gig - I guess it wasn't enough to cause them any major problems...

The DI send from the M-pulse 600 has always sounded very good thru a decent FOH - I typically get out front to check this, as I always go wireless... Only twice have I had any issues with it's DI send, and both times it was on the soundman's end(channel or cable hum)... I would say that either amp has a DI send atleast as good as the Countryman 85 I keep with me as a "backup amp"...

- georgestrings

12. rekesbass

rekesbass

not ALL Mesa amps are like that with the d.i. The BB750's d.i. has a level control(and a pre/post switch) and is independent of the master volume...makes soundmen happy happy happy...

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I don't know about all that - I also owned a BB750 before my M-pulse 600, and it's DI worked the same exact way as the M-pulse 600... They both have a DI level control, but the Master Volume does definitely have an effect on their DI levels...

- georgestrings

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Fwiw they sound incredible. Up there with the very best tube DIs, master session quality.