1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mesa M9 vs Shuttlemax 12.2

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SlickB, Dec 7, 2013.

1. SlickB

SlickB Gold Supporting Member

Need some help. Never had a issue with the shuttlemax series. Are the issues I've read regarding reliablity of the M9 any concern?
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You aren't fooling around... two CN212's... whew!

I gigged a M2000 back in the day, spend much time with the M6 and a little time with the M9, and also had a Shuttle Max 9.2 (same tone as the Max 12). The M2000 was a great sounding head, if a bit over the top with the zillion knobs and sliders. More controlled down low than the current M series heads, and more evenly voiced without as much aggressive, bright, top end.

First, the M9 has been revised very recently. It now uses the M6 power section, so is 600 watts. This was done to fix the heat and reliability issues. So, no problem there with the new ones, and the 600 watts of the current M9 will pretty much keep up with the 1200 watts of the Genz IMO and IME (something about the M series Mesa watts is otherworldy regarding output per watt... not sure what that is all about).

The low end is MUCH, much bigger with the M9 than the very well controlled Shuttle Max. Big low end extension into the sub bass, so much so that I prefer the M9/M6 with a hi pass filter, especially with a cab like the CN that is not tuned to go massive deep.

IMO, the Shuttle Max 12.2 will be a better match for the CN212 x 2 than the new M9 running at 2ohms. With the variable hi pass/low boost cranked a bit on the Shuttle 12, you should have about all the low end the CN needs to punch and sound fat.

However, if you want a much bigger, deeper low end, and a brighter, more aggressive top end, the M9 should sound great, and give you about the same max SPL as your current head. It will, of course, be significantly bigger and heavier.

IMO and IME.
  3. SlickB

SlickB Gold Supporting Member

Wow, fast reply Ken- Thanks, I decided to revise the thread to focus on reliability but you beat me to it. It dawned on me after I posted this question I had previously asked the same question in another thread some time ago and never got back to it, apologize for the redundancy. Indeed that M2000 was silly with controls; I think it took me months of gigs to dial it in. Your conclusion seems right on the money from everything else I've read! I should just stay happy with the Genz since it has triumphed over every other amp I've tried.