1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mesa Madness - does it have to be this way?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tubster, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tubster

tubster

Called Mesa to ask about getting a Walkabout converted to 220volts for European work for an extended period. "It can be done but you have to take it to the dealer in the country that you are going to", was the response.

Not what I was looking for as:

a) There is no MESA dealer on their site listed in the country I am playing in;
    b) The turnaround time would be prohibitive from a neighboring country;
    c) The cost is likely to be extortionate;
    d) I want to hit the ground running and gig from Day 1.

I will be exhorted to use a converter - sorry I have too many bad experiences.

How does Mesa assist international artists or are they only interested in preserving margins for dealers for their gear overseas?

I am aware of EU regs on gear.

Look forward to your thoughts.

2. magic papa

magic papa Gold Supporting Member

Mate, I hear you. Same problem here in Australia, big time. If you want quality gear you must be prepared to wait months and pay stupid price.

Or buy in the US and convert or use transformer.

Many US manufacturers would get way more business down here if they sold directly. But they keep telling themselves that having a dealer network is better even though they probably sell negligible amounts of gear that way. People are forced to look around and buy something else. How is that working for anybody?

Mesa is probably one of the worst offenders. I'm cured from GAS for their gear. No more rip-offs for me.

3. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

Yip... I get the impression MESA don't really care too much about sales and service outside of the US.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Can you find a non Mesa authorized tech to do the work?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. magic papa

They will probably need to swap the mains transformer. Not sure if this could be done by a non Mesa authorised tech. I'm guessing the reason they referred the OP to the Mesa office in the destination country was because they would have access to the correct parts there.

I'd just buy an external step-down transformer. They are not that bad. Benefits: no waiting time and no messing with the amp.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

One of the main characteristics of musicians is to travel in many places.

I don't understand how pro oriented gear manufacturer (Mesa is one of them, Ampeg is too) can release amps that don't switch automatically toward whatever voltage they are fed.

It makes no sense to me.

8. magic papa

They don't care. As simple as that.

Edit:

Actually Ampeg is not that bad. Portaflex series have switchable voltage. I've got SVP-Pro preamp and it's also switchable. Mesa on the other hand - no.

9. anton72

anton72

I've just converted my MarkBass F1 to 220 V. Cost me around $25. I bought it used from TBer and even having $85 shipment plus $25 Voltage conversion on top of the amp cost it turned to be twice as cheaper than buying new one from MarkBass dealer here in Moscow. As for MESA....I was trying hard to find MESA dealer here but found it's no way neither ship it from USA (cause they claim that MESA product is sold only in USA) nor buy it locally. So MESA is "no go" for me. Finished with it even had not started...sad that such prominent manufacturer does not care of sales worldwide...

10. Musicman20

Musicman20

+1!

11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

What kind of converter have you used in the past?

You want a big beefy step down transformer to handle the juice of an amp.

May be easier to look at renting locally too.

12. vin*tone

vin*tone

A transformer needs to be built to spec but yes it can be done.

I had a Walkabout which had a transformer made by BJ Amplifiers in Brisbane (Australia).

Tubster I think you might need to suck it up and grab something like a TH500 which will switch over.

13. MKA

MKA

14. Musicman20

Musicman20

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

To be fair, 20% VAT in included in the €uro price, while taxes are excluded from the US price.

16. magic papa

Mesa quality is just a marketing hype. I have never had so many problems with any other amp as I did with an M-Pulse. Perhaps it was coincidence, but when you pay $4100 for a bass head you don't appreciate coincidences like that. Took 3 months to fix too :scowl:

Never again, better amp out there for much, much less $$$...

17. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    After approx 300 rigrundowns I have seen so far here is what I saw again and again:

Most acts have power converters in the amp-racks or the venue provides whatever the rack needs (different outlets, in-house-converters etc)

18. jetofuj

jetofuj

Mesa dealer and SERVICE in my country is one big joke. Now imagine spending $4200 on new Strategy...

19. teemuk

teemuk

...and then finding out Mesa had reduced its output power to half without bothering to inform anyone about it.
    [​IMG]

The_Lucek likes this.
  20. tubster

tubster

I forgot to mention that in addition the MESA tech guy said the conversion could be done quite easily (new transformer and a couple of other bits) and that they would NOT sell me the parts.

I have just bought a TC Electronic amp head that is auto voltage switching. Not a happy MESA customer I can tell you.

21. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

You can get good fused step down transformers rated for 1000w for around 50€ from German eBay.

I looked into the WB a few years ago but ended up getting an Eden instead mainly because it is easily switched over between 110v and 230v, just by moving a few jumper cables.