1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mesa Powerhouse 112 compared to PH115?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by terlewine, Jan 10, 2014.

1. terlewine

terlewine Supporting Member

I've been playing my M-Pulse 600 through a stacked pair of Mesa Scout 15 cabs. It's been just right for the loud oldies band I'm in, although my sound's been a bit on the boomy side. :meh:

Then recently I played the same amp through a single Powerhouse 115. I thought it sounded great: loud and clear, with plenty of bass yet more clarity.

The PH115 is a heavy bugger. I'm wondering now if I should sell off all three of these 15s and invest in a pair of Powerhouse 112s. I could stack them when I need to, or carry just one when that's all I need (probably with my Walkabout).

Mesa doesn't list weights for these cabs. Can anybody describe whether the PH112 is really an easier carry than the PH115? And how about the sound difference?

Thanks!

2. dukeisdog

dukeisdog

The PH112 weighs 48lbs and the PH115 weighs 72lbs. I love my PH412 and would suggest checking out the 112 cabs. If you're using a lot of volume through your 115 X2 stack I would suggest checking out the PH115's. The M-Pulse 600 has a lot of power and could easily blow either of these cabs so whatever you do trust your ears when it comes to turning up.

3. terlewine

Thanks. I really like the sound of the one PH115 I have, but it's a heavy thing to take up a staircase.

The M-Pulse 600 does have a lot of power -- probably more than I need, but it's got nice clean headroom. The Walkabout is a great amp, but it sounds like it's working too hard at a gig. Doesn't get the big thump that I need sometimes...

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

I've owned both.

The 112 is definitely an easier schlep.

It's also a completely different animal that the 115.

The 112 has a lot of low mid coloration and not a lot of bottom. It is very tight and aggressive and has a great rock tone. It is one of the best sounding cabs for overdrive I've played. If you play a 5-string there are better options in a 112 out there.

The 115 is big warm round and clear. It is more even than the 112. More bottom and handles the low b very well. It will allow the tone of the amp and bass to be bigger factors than the 112 which is so strongly voiced different heads sound only subtly different.

The 112 is a great cab for four string but is more of a singular tone. The 115 is more than a one trick pony. For how much I liked the 115 (except the weight) I was a little disappointed that the 112 wasn't simply a more similar sound in a smaller box.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. terlewine

Thanks very much for that comparison. It describes what I was thinking might be the diff... I'm thinking now of hanging on to my PH115 and not wimping out re: carrying it. :)

7. jobu3

I've owned both.

The 112 is definitely an easier schlep.

It's also a completely different animal than the 115.

The 112 has a lot of low mid coloration and not a lot of bottom. It is very tight and aggressive and has a great rock tone. It is one of the best sounding cabs for overdrive I've played. If you play a 5-string there are better options in a 112 out there IMO.

The 115 is big warm round and clear. It is more even than the 112. More bottom and handles the low b very well. It will allow the tone of the amp and bass to be bigger factors than the 112 which is so strongly voiced different heads sound only subtly different. Kind of like old school Eden cabs but not quite that extreme.

The 112 is a great cab for four string but is more of a singular tone. The 115 is more than a one trick pony. For how much I liked the 115 (except the weight) I was a little disappointed that the 112 wasn't simply a similar sound in a smaller box.

8. Crabby

Crabby

I'm not sure I agree with Big Joe. I used to own a pair of PH115 cabs and now own a pair of PH112 cabs and find they are a better balanced cabinet then the 115's were. The 115 stack was very big and fat. In a loud mix, I had a more old school tone. They were one of the most awkward cabs to carry though. They are very heavy for their size and very deep. Not fun lifting them into a car. Mine were close to 80 pounds each. My PH112 cabs weigh in at 42 pounds each. They are a breeze to carry in and out of the car and like any matched set of cabs, sound huge together. A single Ph112 is a great choice for smaller work. The cab is voiced well for a single 112 and doesnt overly hype any frequency to my ears.

I preferred my 112 stack to my Mesa PH410 and found it seemed to be able to cover the same ground with a more open, tone then the punchy 410. I also owned a PH412 for quite awhile but sold it last year when I realized the pair of PH112 cabs could cover all my volume needs.

I think they are a great cab all around and I am real picky. I play 4 and 5 string basses and agree that a single 112 isn't going to be able to handle a deeply mixed low B string. but a pair of them is very impressive.

9. jobu3

I was hoping a pair of them coupled would have done the trick but was unable to find a second one used. To try.

The 115 with the wrong head definitely does get boomy. SWR and the ph115 was one if the worst combinations I've ever heard. Thin and super scooped. My iamp 800 wasn't a good fit either. Too wide and deep but Hartke, aguilar gk heads and a bunch of preamp/power amp rack combos, I thought it killed.

I had played ampeg pf, a mb 800 tube, a tonehammer 500 and gb shuttle 6.2 through the ph112 and the differences were pretty minimal to me.

If I had played just a four string I'd have probably kept it.

Different courses for different horses?

10. terlewine

Getting this feedback is a real help in figuring out my next move on cabs.

11. Crabby

Crabby

I agree that different amp and cab combos work better then others. My experience with my PH112 cabs has been mostly with my walkabout head. They are a great match. I also have a pair of Scout 112 cabs and they are very different then the PH cabs. Much deeper, less articulate, respond slower and are very fat sounding. Not a neutral cab at all but loads of fun to play through the pair. I have never tried the Scout 115 but have heard that it is almost too much of a good thing.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Hi Big Joe, Not to derail the thread but I'm surprised the PH112 doesn't handle the B-string very well, I can say the PH212 really does, - I own a pair of them and I'm very happy with their performance. Although I don't play Reggae or Dub, nor do I hype my lows.

May I suggest to the OP the Aguilar GS112. I run a pair of these and IMO they handle the lows really well, and each weigh 36 lbs. Super easy to haul and they have a really big sound.

13. jobu3

There was a significant drop once you got down even just a fret below E at what I'd consider usable volume.

Also keep in mind the cabs I've been playing recently have been genz neo-x, EA Wizzy and CXL, epifani, so I'm mire into clarity and bottom.

And I do play quite a bit of reggae but don't look for over extended bottom as much as a big sound even across all five strings.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Thanks for your reply, Big Joe. I once owned a pair of Ampeg BXT410's and once I started playing 6er, I could hear the same drop off in volume below low E as you describe with the PH112 cab. Very good info for folks who have a low B-string. -Best Regards, AP

15. terlewine

I've just put a couple of guitars up for sale at the Columbus guitar show tomorrow. If I'm lucky and they sell tomorrow, I hope to have $$ for a pair of 12s. I'm leaning toward the Mesa PH112s, although if I were playing more than four strings I might reconsider based on these recent posts.

At somewhat high volumes, I find it's easy for my sound to get to fat and indistinct with Scout cabs (either the 12 or 15). I like their thump, but I hope a pair of Powerhouse cabs will give me a solid low E that's loud and clear.

16. magic papa

magic papa Gold Supporting Member

I'm playing M-Pulse 600 through PH 4x12 and it's definitely not boomy (at least not for me). Also have a pair of GK 2x12 and comparing to Mesa they are much more boomy.

Unfortunately if you're looking for a light cab than Mesa is probably not the best choice which is why I went with GK. I thought Mesa used some depleted uranium or lead magnets in the speakers and I was gobsmacked to learn then they're actually neodymium :)

Having said that, the 1x12" cabs should probably be light enough.

17. terlewine

Yeah, my PH115 is an anvil. I think the slightly smaller size of the PH112 will be an OK 2-hand carry for me. And my Walkabout Scout 15 cabs are Lugabouts if the amp is installed. (Without the amp, they're not too heavy, but still sound pretty boomy for me.)

18. magic papa

magic papa Gold Supporting Member

Oh man I hear you. I've been lugging my 4x12 about and it's not fun. Great sounding cab, but tough life unless you have a roadie (a bunch of them actually).

If you are looking for a tight and lightweight cab you could also look at Markbass. They do sound different to Mesa though, so if you want the Mesa sound - the 1x12 is probably the only option.

19. Crabby

Crabby

A pair of PH112 is fantastic with a 5 string. I don't think there are many commercially made 112 cabs that will give you an authoritative low B at higher volume on their own. The magic happens when you have a matched pair! I have proven this to myself over and over.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  20. jobu3

The PH 112 is outstanding down to E.

It is voiced for a strong midrange (again IMO and YMMV) and will give you lot more definition and punch with less big round thump than the Scouts.