Mesa Powerhouse 1200

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BearCave, Feb 6, 2013.

1. BearCave

BearCave Supporting Member

So I've decided that this is the cabinet I want to get to go with my newly acquired 400+ head.

I contacted my guy at Sweetwater because they have them in stock and he has always given me great deals in the past on gear. He advised me Mesa does not allow them to discount their gear and therefore he can't give me a better price than what's advertised ($1,599).

Is this true? Has anyone heard of this before?

I know some companies (i.e. Bose) do not allow retailers to sell their product at discounted prices. I just never heard that Mesa/Boogie does the same thing.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That is the most craptacular cab Mesa makes. Pass on it.
  3. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Indeed...This is true--I owned the PH1000 (prior to the 1200) and NO discount-My guitarist worked at the music store at the time and couldnt do anything for me..I would wait and find a nicely (gently) used cab and save and easy 650 bucks when you factor taxes-My music store has one for 999 right now...I switched to MarkBass stuff due to weight but may go back to that PH1200 cab under the MarkBass head--LMT800 on top sounded AMAZING before I sold my BB750 and PH1000 set..... =(
  4. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio

Mesa controls their prices very well. If you're buying from an authentic Mesa dealer you're not going to get any discounts. They don't even allow Mesa retailers to be within a certain distance of each other, so they aren't competing with themselves.

joe
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BearCave

Thanks for the verification guys!

Much appreciated!
  7. BearCave

CL400Peavey - I'm curious why do you think this cab is crap. I've heard nothing but great things about it. :)
  8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mesa does make some very fine sounding cabs, this one sounds like cardboard.

First of all the 10's and the 15 are in parallel, not crossed over in any way. So four 10" speakers see the same amount of power as the 15, this is a recipe for blowing the 15. That means to run safely you wont actually get more volume than a 610. A lot of extra weight/price for no benefit.

Secondly all the drivers share the same air space. Fail

Thirdly mixing drivers, as has been covered here many times, isnt a great option. You will run into phasing issues.

All in all this is a "design by looks" and continues to be the worst cab Mesa sells. Go buy one of their 215's, 412's, 610's, or 810's. All outstanding (if heavy and expensive) cabs.
  9. BearCave

Very interesting food for thought. Thanks for the insight!

It is much appreciated!
  10. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I have to agree with CL400Peavey. That particular Mesa cab is loud but a little muddy when I played one. My favorite from Mesa was their 412 powerhouse.
  11. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

^^It could have been the amp settings but a/bing the two I much preferred the 412.
  12. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

It's not a bad cab, but for $1500 you can find a PH412 or PH610/810, which will be a better cab IMHO.

I've owned the PH1200, 610 (AB'd them and kept the 610 as it was less boomy and more 'full' sounding to my ears". I've since picked up a PH412 and use it as my show cab. The 610 isn't going anywhere and is one hell of a cab too. Both of these cabs can be found -$1000 or less on the used market.

My PH412 is the best sounding cab I've ever played through (IMO again).
  13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

HUGE +1 ..and I'm a big Mesa fan. Love most all their cabs, 212, 410,215, 610, 810, 412, even the little 115. And I've played through ALL of them. Without a doubt, the 1200 is a FAIL. Mesa is awesome, but also in business to SELL their products. many players believe the myth that combining 10's with a 15 will give them the fullest sound. Hogwash- the fullest sound is achieved by big cabs full of identical drivers. This is truth. The PH610 is a much better choice, as would be any other cab, but the 610 is the same size as the 1200.
  14. mournblade

mournblade

Had a PH1000, never got a good clear tone out of it. As prieviously mentoned, it alwys sounded muddy to me. I have the 4X12 AND 2X15, run them both off my VBA 400 or Titan V12 and love the sound. Try the Ph 4x12, great sounding cabinet. My next one will most likely be a 8x10, also in 4 ohms.
  15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Mesa's retail pricing has always been that way.
    The only time price breaking has been done is on discontinued models.

But as far as the cab goes, I'd highly -highly- recommend the PH412.
  16. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

The 412 810 setup would be ridiculous!!

I've run my 412 with my 610 at moderate volumes and it was like standing in front of a wall of speakers. I couldn't imagine what another two 10's would sound like.
  17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Heh, if you lived closer I'd trade my PH810 for your 412 in a heartbeat!
    I've got the 810 and 212, and if I had to do it all over again I' would have gone all 12's.
  18. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Just throwing another +1 for the 412. That cab is HUGE sounding!!
  19. mwig

mwig

Better off with a 610 or 215. I have the 215 which I got used for a ridiculous $500 in mint condition. Heavy as f**k but great sounding. Mixing drivers makes little acoustic sense as has been noted about a thousand times in this forum. Might sound good 6 feet away but move around the room and you'll have phase issues etc, and its not so good. Just saying'...
  20. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

ph412 all the way-awesome cab
  21. mwig

mwig

I'll second the 412 too but you better have a rodie...