Mesa Scout or Aguilar DB359?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by wishImay, Jan 23, 2013.

?

Messa Scout combo Vs. Aguilar DB359 plus 1X15 cab of choice

1. Mesa Scout 1x15 Combo.

58 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Aguilar DB359 with 1x15 cab of choice.

62 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. wishImay

wishImay

I am a newbie here so try not to laugh if this is a ridiculous question. Mesa Scout or Aguilar DB359 driving your choice of 1X15 to keep it fair. :smug: This is for practice and recording and I do not need crazy loud volume. Thank you!
  2. wishImay

wishImay

While we are at it which 1X15 cab would tighten up the bass for the DB359?
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

II don't understand the question. I've had both of them and they are both great amps.

The DB359 hasn't been made for quite a while, and thus much more difficult to find. The Mesa can be bought at any GC that sells Mesa gear.

Any reason why you're only looking at 15's?
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

I have both, and if I were limited to a single 15" cab, I would go with the WA combo. The WA combo is awkward to lug around, but the head and cab are, in my opinion, well matched. The 359, also a pain to lug around on its own, I think goes better with a bigger cab. I like the 359 with my HD212, but LOVE it with my Whappo.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

+1. It needs an amp depth rack to house it, which kinda sucks.
  7. wallydoesbass

wallydoesbass Gold Supporting Member

+1 The 359 is WAY heavy. I finally sold mine.
  8. bassgod0dmw

It's quite light for an all tube head. IIRC it's like 50lbs? I think the form factor makes it feel heavier than it is.
  9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I voted for the one I own.:D

Mesa/Boogie Walkabout Scout 1x15.
  10. wishImay

wishImay

Thank you for the responses.
  11. wishImay

wishImay

Let me provide a little more detail. I have been a guitar player for about 15 years and switched over to bass about a month ago. I have a 2003 American Series P bass with 62 original pups that has been setup by my local luthier. I have a nice home recording chain. An A Designs Silver into a Rupert Neve 5033 5 band Parametric eq. I love the tone and I thought about just buying a power amp and cab and running the silver and Neve through it. However, from playing guitar and using a variety of amps over the years I know the response and punch that a good tube amp provides. This is what I am after, response and punch. I specified 1X15 in comparison simply because as I understand it that is what the Mesa has in it. I have listened to the clips at Bass Tasters and thought that the Aguilar DB359 sounded excellent, second only to the Reddi for my taste. I also played a Mesa Scout at GC and thought it was nice but it did not blow me away. Tone wise I really get into a lot of classic rock tones. I love Fleet wood Mac, 70's AeroSmith and also a lot of Motown.
  12. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

It wasn't a choice, but I'm happy with my Markbass Jeff Berlin Combo. I like 15s too.
  13. wishImay

wishImay

I am going with the Aguilar. Leaning towards a pair of the Aguilar DB 1X15's as well. The neighbors are gonna love me! Yes, I live in an apartment. :)
  14. bassgod0dmw

Are you going to be gigging? If not, a single cab will be more than enough. I too live in an apartment and trying to play on anything more than a single small speaker is way more than overkill. Pushing the tubes on the amp is going to get a lot of volume.
  15. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

go WA scout with the 15 driver. WA has glorious tone.
    if it isnt going to be moved around much then weight won't be a concern
    these are supposedly awesome combos-i only owned the WA 12.
  16. wishImay

wishImay

Playing out is the goal. Not happening at the time. I will start out with 1X15. :) I have been playing through my recording rig and my studio monitors fart out without clipping anything else in the chain.
  17. Mulebagger

Mulebagger Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I've had both and liked both for different reasons. To do it again with one or the other, I'd take the 359 and be able to pair it with different cabs. The scout's passive radiator throws nicely when you are close to it, but I found it to be a bit deceptive further out in the room where the sound thinned out.

FWIW, I preferred my Mesa Scout 1x12 combo over the Scout 1x15 combo.
  18. wishImay

wishImay

19. wishImay

wishImay

I ended up with a Genz Benz Focus 15 and the DB359. The power amp of the 359 sounds amazing but I dislike the preamp so far. It is too dirty after 3 o'clock. There are crap tubes in the preamp section so that may be the cause. The tubes are a Fender and a ruby. Power amp has winged C's in it. That said I keep the preamp volume really low and crank the master volume. This sounds great! I just wish the damn thing did not weigh so freaking much. This Genz 15 has some serious punch as well and is pretty light weight and well built for the price point. I can tell you that I am not done looking as I feel this is not the ideal setup for my needs at the moment. I love the tube power amp! I have to have that! I would however prefer it in a smaller lighter weight package. How good is the Peavey Classic 120? I know of one local fairly cheap. Would I miss the DB359?
  20. Alexander

Alexander

I'd go with the Mesa head and your choice of cabs. For me, the WA head into a Bergantino cabinet is like chocolate and peanut butter. Been running mine through an NV412, but likely trading that in for an HD212. best bass tone I've ever heard - liked it quite a bit better than the Scout pairing.
  21. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Try using a boost or overdrive with the 359. I am loving mine with a Rusty Box.