1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

mesa walkabout di live

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tcald2004, Dec 28, 2012.

1. tcald2004

tcald2004 Supporting Member

is it good for use live or would a radial jdi box be better?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

I used an M-Pulse 600 for years, and I assume it has the same DI as the Walkabout. Always sounded great and never gave me any problems. You should be fine.

3. KJung

KJung

The Walkabout DI is post EQ only, and also impacted by the master volume. So, for my needs, the answer would be the JDI all the way.

Many use the Walkabout DI successfully, and I guess if you never touch the master volume on a gig, nor use extreme EQ, it would work fine.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to kjung, the WA's DI is very high quality, but connected to the master volume, (which I don't understand, because the DI has a level control as well), and post eq, though that's much less of a problem for me, as I don't use any extreme eq boosting. Either way, it's ALWAYS a good idea to own a good DI box for the utilitarianism facter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

You can mod the WA DI so the tube driving the master section is no longer part of the DI signal; however, that plays a significant part in the amp's tone.

7. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

If you can accept the short comings of the WA DI, i.e. post EQ and Master vol, it's an amazing sounding DI.

It will sound very different from the JDI. The WA imposes it's own color to the sound with rich harmonics and tube warmth. If I recall the last time I used a JDI it sounded very clean and true to the bass used.

Just something to keep in mind when deciding.

8. KJung

KJung

To be fair, I think the reason they put the DI 'post master' was so that they could capture that final 'MOSFET driver tube' in the DI out. I get that, but it would have been nice (given how many times they updated that amp through the years) to provide a simple switch for 'pre everything DI'. IMO.

9. tcald2004

tcald2004 Supporting Member

thx guys. would the di on the walkabout compare to one of the tube di's like demeter, reddi, etc?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maybe the Demeter but definitely not the REDDI. The REDDI has a big iron output transformer in it, which brings it into the realm of actual tube amps, whereas the Demeter's pre is more like a really good hybrid. Some might prefer the Demeter over the Walkabout DI, but the topology is closer with the WA and Demeter than the REDDI.

11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

and some prefer the Walkabout DI over the REDDI (just as some surely prefer the Demeter over the REDDI).

Yes, tcald, sonically the WA DI is in a similar camp as the REDDI: colored, girthy, and three dimensional.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Except the WA doesn't sound just like a tube amp and the REDDI does ;)

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Are you basing that on actual experience???

- georgestrings

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Absolutely. Never heard anything without a big iron output transformer that ever sounded identical to a tube amp. Walkabout has a very good sound, but just like I can tell the difference between a tube amp and a hybrid, I can tell the difference between the REDDI and the Walkabout.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    the walkabout does have a "big transformer" in it...it's toroidal rather than the "regular" kind.

I like the Walkabut DI, I've never had a reddi at hand.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    It's a big POWER transformer, though, Chef...not for output. PT does make a difference in the way the amp works...I found the Walkabout (and other traditional SS and hybrid amps but Mesas especially) to have an attack to it like I've never once heard in an SMPS powered amp, but it doesn't make a hybrid sound just like a tube amp the way an OT makes it sound like one.

17. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Didn't say it did;)

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I know you didn't, my brother ;) Just pointing out the difference in transformers.

BTW, I'm starting to appreciate the big iron in solid state rigs. Never truly enjoyed it in the past, and since I heard micros I've favored them over traditional SS technologies, but there sure is something to be said about electricity moving through a bunch of wire and iron that adds something to the tightness level and ability to project tone. Even though the biggest trad SS amp I own now is a BA110, I hear a difference with it. Not falling out of love with the micro stuff or anything, but I get why a lot of players don't want to let their "old-fashioned" SS amps go.

19. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Happy Transformer New Years!

20. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Don't mention DI in front of JimmyM without mentioning Reddi.... He may get violent.

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    You're right. I just violently attacked a plate of spaghetti!