Mesa Walkabout impressions and deal alert (and a little Aguilar and Ampeg content)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by liam_g, Dec 7, 2013.

1. liam_g

liam_g

Hey folks,

I've always been curious about the Walkabout. I've heard them, but never played through one myself. Today my guitarist and I dropped into Corner Music here in Nashville and the had a used one in stock. It's a silver face, but has had the upgrades done, active/passive switch and effects loop bypass switch. It was plugged into a Hartke Hydrive 115 cab. I looked around, and saw a nice 74 P bass, so I plugged in. Great warm tone, very rich. I see the tube head comparisons that get made. I didn't mess with the eq much at all. It was set with all the semi-paras at no boost, bass slightly boosted, treble at noon, and mids at around 10:00. It sounded really, really good through the Hydrive.

However, in my mind, it didn't sound any better, no richer or warmer, than my Eden WT300, so I have a little less GAS now after trying it, lol. I do love it, and if I were going to replace my WT300 I'd strongly consider it.

The deal alert is that they have what I consider a really good price on it. $459, and remember it has the upgrades done already. I usually see prices in this range for the silver face ones that haven't had the upgrades done, and then you have to pay around $150 for the upgrades. So Nashville cats, check it out if you're in the market. Or I'm sure Corner will ship if you're not local.

Also played an Aguilar Tonehammer 500 into two DB112 cabs. I couldn't get a good sound out of it, but I understand that the eq isn't as intuitive as it appears. I'd need to look at some of the recommended settings to try to get a better sound.

Finally, they had an Ampeg V4B reissue sitting on an SVT 212AV cab. I had a V4B reissue but had to sell it, but had never heard the matching 212. Played that 74 P though that setup and it was pretty nice. Honestly though I preferred the Walkabout into the Hydrive 15. But if any of you local players want to hear the V4B and / or SVT 212AV, Corner has them.

They also had the Fender Bassman 100t and Super Bassman, fyi, but I didn't try either of those.

Cheers,
    Liam

2. Crabby

Crabby

$459 is a great deal! Just look at what they cost new. I keep trying other amps and keep coming back to the Walkabout. Its the only hybrid head I have ever found that allows you to really push the front end and bring out those glorious harmonics in your tone without any nasty clipping noise.

3. Anarchyok

Anarchyok

Surprised you couldn't pull a good tone outta the Th500 stack. That amp is a "every knob at 12 o'clock and it's sweet" amp if every I played one... Which I do!

4. liam_g

liam_g

Really? Yeah I just couldn't get a good sound from it. I'd like to try again. Maybe I'll be back there soon to see.

Liam

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rodl2005

rodl2005

Each to their own naturally. The TH500's eq is, as you said, quite different to most and while I think it does sound good with its eq at 12 o'clock, I usually have treble at about 2 o'clock. Mid freq at 8 o'clock & level at 1 o'clock & bass at 1 o'clock (depending o on the cab it's paired with.

7. liam_g

liam_g

Yeah, I just didn't dig it. Compared to the Walkabout and V4B (and my Eden WT300), it just sounded boxy and thin. But I'd like to try it again.

Liam

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

You might want to actually "mess with the eq" a bit. The Walkabout has a superb front end. Not playing around with the eq on a bass head during a test drive is a bit like test driving a car only on a straightaway :D:p

9. liam_g

liam_g

The whole reason I didn't mess with it much is that it sounded pretty perfect as it was. But maybe I'll try it again and mess around some. I did mess with it just a bit. Cut and boosted the bass a little, and boosted the mids a little. Didn't mess with the para section though.

Liam