MESA walkabout or carbine ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bluesblaster, Feb 8, 2014.

1. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

I have tried lots of amps over the years but have never played through a mesa , Im looking at both a walkabout and a carbine, though Im leaning towards the carbine because of certain features I would like to hear from anyone familiar with both.

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Lots of data here in various Mesa threads. Search is your friend. Specific questions are helpful. Location, gear, style, etc?

3. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Different sounding amps.
    I like the WA but 300 watts was not enough clean headroom.

4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

really just seeking real world working bassists type opinions, anything from tone , reliablity , ease of use, etc.

I will be using a pair of Bag End 15's (birch cabs) FWIW

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Those cabs will sound great with the Walkabout. Lots of speaker area make that head quite gigable and the flexibility and tone of the Walkabout are top notch. It's more of a warm tube like tone whereas the Carbines have been described a more Gallien Krueger solid state type sound with huge lows.

7. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

I've owned pretty much every version of the walkabout heads over the years; I love them to death, just not enough headroom unless I used a lot of cabs and ran them at 2 ohms (never had a problem doing that).
    The carbine I owned was nothing like the walkabout, much more attack and lots of brute power. Not necessarily super clean but not woolly either. Much more of a solid state sound. It was much more articulate than the 400 or 800 rb's i've owned.

8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I sued a WA with a TL606 cabinet for smaller gigs.
    The cabinet would go much louder and cleaner with more power.
    For me, that WA was barely enough with a 2x12 for a rock / RB band that plays moderately loud with vocals only in the PA.

9. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

looks like the WA got sold so maybe I'll give the carbine a try, its a 600 watt head @4 ohms, plus the mid tone shape thing is a nice feature. I have been using a Euphonic Audio 500 with a single BE 15 with pretty good results but I want something with a bit more growl for the two BE 15B cabs.

10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Both WA and M6 heads are pretty easily found used on eBay and the classifieds here, if you really want to find one or the other.

11. rekesbass

rekesbass

Another alternative to consider...from what I've read here the big block 750 sounds closer to the walkabout..some complain about the power rating (750w @ 2 ohm) being too low at 4 ohm..but,I have a BB and never had an issue at 4 ohm..it runs at approx. 550w @ 4 ohm. I use a Genz Benz NeoX 212 and I have yet to find a situation where I don't have enough power..

12. onegunguitar

onegunguitar Supporting Member

I sometimes use a WA with a Mesa PH 4x12....gain at 1 o'clock and master not much more than 9 o'clock and we're loud. Don't have any problem keeping up. I don't run a completely clean tone,but it's far from distorted. Mesa all the way!!:D:D

13. Crabby

Crabby

I adore the Walkabout and actually sold my M9 Carbine after doing a live A/B comparison with a PH412 cab in a super loud jam. The WB kept up with the large 4 ohm cab but was pretty dirty. Everyone there hands down preferred that tone over the super quick and insanely loud Carbine. The M9 could have easily destroyed by 1200 watt cabinet. Almost too much juice.

14. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have used this exact set up..

IMHO the Walkabout which is one of my favorite heads does not give me the power I need to really get these cabs cooking. I like at least 4 ohms/500 watts for the Bag End 2 cab set up. The walkabout 4 ohm combo amp is one of my all time favorite amps…check out the Eden WT550 with the Bag Ends…
    I recently sold an M9 Carbine…too much power for me. A great head though.

15. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

I have a Carbine M6 212 combo, and a Walkabout Scout 112 combo. I love them both for different reasons. The Walkabout is a bit more versatile with the para EQ and the bass/treble boosts…if 300W will get you there, it's the way to go.
    The Carbine M6 is just insane. I play gigs, un-mic'd, and I never turn it up past 10:00 with the gain around the same area. It is loud as hell, punchy, and deep. i gig the WA for an acoustic/electric project, where the volume is a bit lower. The Carbine is used in a 90's hard rock cover band.
    This is a tough decision - I say get both! You should be able to find them used, either on here, or at GC. They ended their relationship with Mesa a few months ago, and several GC locations still have M6 heads for sale CHEAP.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Pretty different sounding heads.
    For a blues gig, the Walkabout would sure be my first choice; but, as some folks have mentioned; "it's only 300 watts."

The M6 has beastmode power, but isn't as warm as the Walkabout.
    The M6 really is pretty crisp, clean and clear. But, you can trim the treble, push the mids and bass a little and get close-ish to Walkabout tone.

But, you'll never get the Walkabout to sound as crisp and clean as the M6.

Also, the Walkabout does a nice grit/grind/overdrive, and the M6 not so much.