1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mesa Walkabout - what tubes are you using?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by two fingers, Oct 6, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Just trying to find out the latest experiences of you guys. I know this comes up every now and then, but we learn as we go, right? So some of you may have changed your minds based on experiences since older threads have come and gone.

So, as of today, what do you like and why?

Thank you!

2. two fingers

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've got JJ's in mine

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I find the V2 slot (that drives the MOSFETS) has less of an impact than V1. I don't hear much of a difference in V2 and I have a new Tung So in there, with an old Raytheon in V1. The breakup is gradual and thick.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

So if I were to sneak up on a NOS old tube I should put that in V1 and put whatever my local store has in V2? Interesting. I haven't looked at the schematic yet. Is it on the Mesa website? Mine is a somewhat older one.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I'm still using the stock tubes, after 7 yrs of constant use. If and when they go out, I'd most likely use JJ's as replacements.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I know it's not the same amp, but is similar: I've had good luck with Mesa tubes in my M-pulse 600, which are probably just rebranded Sovteks that are tested to their specs...

- georgestrings

9. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

Cant tell ya, Im getting mine tomorrow!!

10. two fingers

Well get ready to have some fun. It is one impressive piece of gear!

11. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

I always wanted one and i got a really good deal on it so I decided to snag it up

12. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

I have a Telefunken in V1 and a JJ in V2 and I couldn't be happier. It had the original Mesa tubes when I got it and they honestly sounded great, but when I put the Telefunken in V1 it really kicked that amp up a notch into truly amazing. It tightened up the low end a bit and evened everything out a bit. Before the Telefunken, the E string would be deeper and darker than the other strings. Now, the E sounds like an extension of the rest of the strings and very even.

I couldn't recommend it more.

Michael

13. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk? Supporting Member

Media:
    V1 = Genalex Gold Lion Premium (B759).
    V2 = JJ ECC803S

This tube combo is meaty, rich, thick and clear. (I felt the stock tubes are ok, but I felt they lacked depth - this tube combo has rich harmonic depth, but can be a little bass heavy depending on what cabinets I use).
    [​IMG]

14. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

IME/IMO yes.

15. two fingers

Good suggestions so far.

16. tsunami1052

Media:
    Two years ago I decided to do some tube rolling on my Mesa Walkabout. I purchased 10-12 different tubes that met my criteria:

A. They had to be easy to obtain and readily available.

B. They had to be under $50 per tube.

I set the amp flat and went to work. I first switched out each tube in the V1 position and selected the tubes that I felt or sounded the best to me (most depth and character). I will be honest many of the tubes I could not hear a discernible difference.

After several hours of going back and forth I finally settled on the Gold Lion(B759) due to it stood out more than the others for smooth sound and rich harmonics.

What I did learn is many of the new name brand tubes and rebranded tubes today including the stock Mesa Slovak 12ax7 in the Walkabout sounded (to my ears) almost identical.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Telefunken (smooth plate) for V1, JAN Philips for V2.

Here's a quote from a very old post from my old blog (which is very neglected, nowadays, and pretty out of date, but this post still holds up):

18. two fingers

Thanks Tom! Good read.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Glad you liked it!

Though not WalkAbout-specific, here are some "findings" from another thread I did a while back looking for the best preamp for comparing tubes (ended up being a Kern IP-777, at the time):

20. two fingers

So based on two reviews I think I'll give the tele tube a try. Where do you guys suggest to shop for them? Somebody mentioned Dougs. Anywhere else?

21. tsunami1052

Media:
    Dougs Tubes.
    TC Tubes.
    E-Bay (TubeMazeStore).
    Tube Depot.
    The Tube Store (Canada).