1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mesa Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by imhoffdr, Dec 6, 2013.

1. imhoffdr

imhoffdr

I've read through a lot of threads on here, but am looking for a more specific and definitive answer. I have an Acoustic 4x10 Mk II that is rated 600w at 8 ohms. The walkabout is 165 at 8 ohms. If I use a Walkabout through the amp will I have trouble with volume?
  2. Crabby

Crabby

The Walkabout is not ideal at 8 ohms as you are only going to be pushing about 165 watts through 4 drivers. It wont have the punch that the amp has a 4 or 2 ohm operation. it will be fine at lover volumes but when pushed you wont likely be happy.
  3. imhoffdr

imhoffdr

Ok, good to know. Any recommendations for a hybrid amp that will work well at 8 ohms?
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I disagree, while it may not be an ass kicker, the Walkabout through an 8 ohm 410 will still sound wonderful, and fairly loud. If you want real power, and similar tone, look at Mesa's Big Block 750 or Titan V12.
  5. PhatRon

PhatRon supporting member Supporting Member

+1 agree with Boogie man. walkabout and 410 will do pretty darn well 8 or 4 ohms. just not crazy loud. One thing about the walkabout is you can slam the front end of it and it still sounds pretty good. I would try and see if it's enough volume for you 'cause that walkabout tone is truly wonderful.
  6. Crabby

Crabby

I own 2 Walkabouts and a bunch of cabs. I find that through a pair of 112 cabs or a 4 ohm 2X15 is really amazing. But through an 8ohm Powerhouse 410 the amp just runs out of steam when pushed. The rig still gets loud but the tone is pretty dirty and the drivers flop around like crazy. The same cab when run with a Carbine, is huge sounding.

I find that finding the right cab really brings out the magic with these amps.
  7. PhatRon

PhatRon supporting member Supporting Member

I've noticed that the powerhouse cabs I've tried just beg for "big power" but they sure deliver when you give it to 'em. So you're right, walkabout and efficient cab(s) = good mix
  8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I run a Walkabout head into a pair of 8 ohm 10" cabinets. That provides 300 watts. The key to the Walkabout is not slamming the audience with power. Instead, you can dial in a tone that cuts through all the noise and lets your bass line be heard clearly.
  9. imhoffdr

imhoffdr

I definitely want to give the Walkabout a try. It sound like its what I'm looking for in an amp.I don't need to blasting in terms of volume, but I do want have enough for bar/club shows.
  10. Crabby

Crabby

Hands I down, my favorite head! You will likely love it. And as others mentioned, you can really push the input into glorious harmonic content.
  11. BigOkie

BigOkie

I play my Walkabout through an Avatar B410 neo cabinet. Overall the sound is good quality, especially the mids and highs. There's something missing in the low end to suit my tastes. I would like that deep, clear low end to be stronger.

I'm thinking of moving to a 412 cabinet or maybe adding a nice 15" cabinet to take me down to 2 ohms, which a couple of folks here tell me is safe.