Mesaboogie PH 8x10 Standard/Vintage VS Traditional

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hab101, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Hab101

Hab101

Hello,

I'm into getting an 810 PH but I don't see the diference between:

8x10 Standard PowerHouse
    8x10 Vintage PowerHouse
    8x10 Traditional PowerHouse

I read in some other thread that Standard and Vintage are exactly the same, just a few changes outside.

But, whta's the difference with the tradiotional? Besides price and the fact that it has no horn.
    Does anybody has some experience with this cabs?

Thanks
  2. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

My understanding was identical to yours, except I assumed no other differences. I'd be interested to hear if there are other distinctions. Mesa has made "carbon copy" cabs before: the older model Diesel and Roadready cabs were the same (model by model) on the inside.
  3. Crabby

Crabby

Standard has steel grill, Vintage has cloth grill. They are otherwise identical

The Traditional is a different series altogether. They are simpler cabs with a bit lighter construction and cost a lot less then the original Powerhouse line. The 8X10 is actually a sealed cab with no tweeter while the original PH810 is a ported cab with a horn.

Hope that helps.
  4. Hab101

Hab101

Thnaks for the info.
    Let's see if someone with experience has anything more to say about there difference.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Crabby covered it for me - I've owned a PH810 for a few years now, and it's been the most impressive cab I've ever played thru - although it's weight can be a bit much for many players(173lbs)

I call this the SVT killer:

[​IMG]

I haven't played thru any of the Traditional series, but I can imagine that they're probably pretty close to Berg's NV series in regards to performance...

- georgestrings
  7. Crabby

Crabby

The new Traditional Powerhouse cabs look interesting for sure but I have not heard any of them. They are less money new then the standard PH line and seem to be lighter in weight according to specs which could be a real bonus for many who find the PH cabs just too heavy to deal with.

I sold my pair of PH115 cabs simply because they weighed almost 80 pounds each and were just no fun to load in and out of the car. I replaced them with a pair of PH112 cabs and they are nice and manageable, and sound incredible.
  8. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

Info/ reviews of the traditional line have been very slow coming. I would be very interested in the 610, but I think that one is ported.
  9. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+1

I'd love to find some info on the traditional 610. I love my PH610 but if I could lose some weight with the traditional series and still have a ported cab that would be awesome.

Can't seem to find anything on this cab.
  10. BassAssault

BassAssault

I recently picked up the traditional powerhouse 115. I am taking it to practice tomorrow and I have a few gigs lined up in the next couple of weeks. I will let you guys know what I think of it!
  11. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Please do - I'm curious...

- georgestrings
  12. BassAssault

BassAssault

I got to use my Mesa 115 traditional cab in a high volume practice the other day. I am up against mic'd drums going through a PA, a traynor iron horse tube amp through a 2x12 cab and a Fender DeVille going through a 4x10. We play hard rock/punk so fast and loud!

My current rig is a markbass cmdp mini 121, a zoom b3 pedal and a ibanez 1205e premium. I can honestly say that the 115 is perfect addition for my setup. I have found it to be responsive, articulate and quick. It is not a light cab weighing at 65 pounds but the casters make it really easy to move. It is also loud, I only had to turn up the master to a little bit before noon before I was overpowering everybody else.

My intial verdict is that you get a good mesa product at a verry reasonable price. I have a gig on the 27th and I will write up a similar review after a live showing.
  13. BassAssault

BassAssault

Hey a bit late on the review but I have played a couple of live shows. Both of them had PA support. I found it real easy to dial in my stage sound and I find the 115 responds real well to mid range frequencies which I find helps in me hearing myself on stage. It is a quick and articulate speaker. There is no mushiness to the sound and I can get a some high end zing going on if I want. I also played around with the eq as well and I can get an old school warmth and thump going on. Not as good as ampeg, but it is still pretty nice.

I really like this line, you get mesa quality for pretty cheap compared to their other equipment.

When I get some more cash under my belt I am definitely thinking of getting another of the 115.