1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Meshell Ndegeocello

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Jan 9, 2014.

1. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Don't know much about her...just started getting into some of her music. I really like the way she plays bass. Extremely talented person.

Meshell Ndegeocello video

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I like her first two albums the most. She has had a very eclectic career. There are a bunch of threads here about her if you are ready to do a search.

3. cv115505

cv115505

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    When I first started playing I saw the video for "Wild Nights," one morning before school... actually my introduction into funky bassists... before that it was all music that I no longer see as music...

4. ritz

ritz

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. atrevino

atrevino

If you are getting in to MeShell, then this video from her earlier days is a must watch. The band includes a young Chris Dave on drums. Groovy stuff.

7. The Carl

The Carl

Got to speak with Meshell recently. She has a beautiful musical mind that is overflowing with grooves.

She was kind enough to indulge me with her John Mellencamp story, and talked about what images appear when she's making her riffs. I can't post links cuz I'm a newbie, but it's on Songfacts. A few excerpts:

Songfacts: What do you consider your strong suits?

Meshell: Sonics, groove - being able to deconstruct typical song forms. I try to keep things as interesting as I possibly can. Sometimes I'm criticized for being too challenging. I just try to keep things interesting, that's all.

Songfacts: You have been talking about how you kind of stay to yourself and you don't like the limelight. Did you want to be famous when you started this?

Meshell: Oh, of course, I did. Oh my God, yeah. I had a difficult childhood, not more or less than anyone else, but it had its issues. And I didn't really fit in, I didn't have friends. So, of course, that was part of the driving force. Once I saw that I could play the bass and then people would talk to me and like me, it sort of fueled the egomania that can happen.

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

I heard somewhere that when she did Mellencamp's cover of Wild Night, she thought it was his original.
    She'd never heard it before. She was great on it.

9. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Great interview, Carl. It's nice to read an interview conducted by someone who obviously did his research! :)

10. The Carl

The Carl

It's always a pleasure when you get to speak with an artist/songwriter you admire, especially when they're willing to answer all those burning questions about their songs (like "If That's Your Boyfriend He Wasn't Last Night") :).

Tangent - pretty sure she knew "Wild Night" was a Van Morrison song. She knows her musical history.

11. cronker

cronker

Peace Without Passion is the album I prefer when having sex.
    Meshell has fingers that just sound like her

She is unique, but I feel she got lost in the pack

12. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I remember her talking about "Boyfriend" in the first interview she did for Bass Player magazine. She's someone I would love to sit and talk with - and make some music with. I met her once but she was very reserved and wasn't talkative at all.

13. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

I'm digging the new album, along with her Nina Simone covers album.

14. The Carl

The Carl

That's the thing: she is very reserved and doesn't like talking about herself, which is not exactly the persona she presented early in her career. It took some therapy to resolve this conflict.

As you can imagine, she hates doing interviews and loathes the promotion cycle, which keeps her just under the radar. If you listen to her work though, she's clearly progressing as an artist and doing some amazing work.

15. Deoindra

Deoindra Supporting Member

Great Bass Player Who Makes Great Music, Very Underrated Though!

16. Alex J

Alex J

Her first album was mainly recorded on a jazz bass with EMGS, and flatwound strings. Cracking tone, and and she thumps the heck out of it!