Messed up bass ! Please help !

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dan_Lie, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Dan_Lie

Dan_Lie

Hello.
    I was playing my bass without an amp for a month or so. My friend told me that i can play my bass through my pc speakers so i bought [​IMG] .
    I plugged it in my bass and plugged my pc speaker cable on the other. For my surprise , it worked (tho i played it on max volume, both bass and speakers) . I played it for like 10 minutes and it sounded quite good actually. In some moment i unplugged the cable and plugged it again. It didn't work. I tho that my speakers were ****ed up . But , i plugged them back in my pc and they worked as usual. I plugged other speakers at my bass , they didn't work either. I just hear that sssssshhhhh sound when i plug my bass and that's it. No sound while picking my strings.

What is the problem? Did i brake my bass? Please help !

Thanks
  2. mrmills

mrmills

What bass? Is it active or passive?
  3. Salamenster

Salamenster

And try with a 'normal' cable trough a normal amp before jumping to conclusions.
  4. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

this is good
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mrmills

mrmills

+1
  7. Dan_Lie

Dan_Lie

Bass is passive i think. No batteries or so...
    Also , i can't test my bass on a regular amp because i don't have access to any...
  8. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

I am so confused right now...
  9. Dan_Lie

Dan_Lie

Oh sorry , i see what do you mean xD . I wrote the post quite weird , it's pretty hard to understand.
  10. elgecko

elgecko

You might want to edit that title!
  11. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

What you had at first - going through your PC to the PC's speaker - you were using the PC's amplifier system. Hooking directly to the speakers is not going to work as there is no amplification.

You gotta amplify the sound some way for the speaker to work. Just go back to the way you did at first.

I have used a VOX earphone amp which cost about $50 and works great with earphones. I have a Peavey Max 15B amp that cost $109.00 and works great for practice, in fact I use it for a gig we do in a small room. This amp has a built in tuner, which is super great for anything this inexpensive.

Gotta amplify,
  12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

13. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

This adaptor plug shown is stereo - which I guess would be correct for the PC however, your bass more than likely has a mono output. So in effect you are plugging a stereo plug into a mono jack on the bass. I assume the cable from this stereo adaptor is a stereo cable as well and the PC has a stereo input.
    My expectation if I did this would be that either it would not work at all OR at best I'd get sound from only one side speaker of the PC using a single or dual PU bass. . Also if your bass has active PU's it could also mess with the PC audio section.
    On the flip side, I'd expect any damage that resulted would be to the PC/speakers and not to the bass. My 2 cents.
  14. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

It's possible that you bent the tab inside the jack that connects to the cable. I'd take the cavity plate off, insert a regular instrument cable and see if it's making solid contact.
  15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Moved to Hardware, Setup and Repair
  16. JustForSport

JustForSport

MalcolmAmos- good advice-
    I found a Korg Mini headphone amp that has 'headphones out'- can be run to stereo in,
    has tuner, pre-sets (lots), line-in for cd play-along, batt operated or usb conn to computer for control w/o using the knobs/ buttons, looper, lots more,
    and can be found used on the 'bay for half-a-buck or so.
  17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

To hear amplified bass, your signal path is:

Bass > cable (mono, so if you go into a stereo system you need an adapter) > amplifier > speaker

Without the amplifier, there is no sound in the speakers. I made the same mistake in my yout'.