1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Met a bass god!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spent, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

On my way to pick up a pizza, I passed a small coffee shop that is next door. I look in and see an NS upright. I'm curious about it so I walk in to ask how the guy standing next to it how likes it. He said that it wasn't his and the guy who owns it is sitting at a table. The only people there were the band, so I walked over to him to ask how he liked it. When he looked up I said "Tony?" Yup, it was Tony Levin. All I could manage was an incoherent word salad at that point. A few minutes of small talk and I left for my pizza. Made my day. Oh, and he's a really great guy.

2. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

That is soooo cool man!!!

3. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

4. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Truely a legend - should have gone back for the show. Show's him playing at Dave's Cafe.

7. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Coolness. Who is he touring with right now? Peter Gabriel?

8. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I know! It's only about a mile from my house, but it pizza and a movie with the family.

9. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

Yup, it's about the size of my living room. My band played there once. It's the second place I've played that Tony Levin did.

10. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

He's with a side project right now, but will be touring with Gabriel starting in April.

11. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Very cool. I met him once but he was kind of mobbed so there wasn't much to it. It would be nice to see him in a place that small. He's playing with his brother, that would be a fun one to see.

12. electracoyote

electracoyote

I'm guessing this is NYC.

Yep, I'm a googly-eyed fan living vicariously through the OP.

13. MIMike

MIMike

I saw him at the Ernie Ball booth last weekend at NAMM. He seemed real cool.
    Not quite as intimate as your encounter.
    He talked a lot about the King Crimson writing and recording process.

14. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

It's actually a small town 100 miles north of NYC. He lives about ten miles from here. Happens to be a neighbor of a teacher I work with. Lives in a modest house and last I heard drove a vw jetta. He often plays small clubs in the area. At most, this coffee house can hold 30 people. About as unpretentious as they come.

15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Cool!

I met him a few years back as well. He was a super nice guy.

16. odin70

odin70

I love nice bass gods. Your story made my day!

17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

My keyboardist just told me this story at our last rehearsal. He also plays bass, and was playing a bass gig near Woodstock, and who should come in but Tony Levin. He said he was intimidated to play in front of Tony (who wouldn't be?) but that Tony was a very nice guy. They even had dinner together, and debated whether or not some forms of music are objectively better than others (Tony apparently thinks so). This might sound like an intimidating debate to get into, but my keyboard player has a PhD in Philosophy, so I'm sure he held his own.

Then, the following week, he was playing another bass gig and John Entwistle walked in. He said he found Entwistle more intimidating and didn't try to talk to him.

18. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I'm a teacher in a local middle school and one of my colleagues is Tony's neighbor. She always tells me what a regular guy he is, she's not musical and probably doesn't even realize who he is. I've been trying to think of an excuse to meet him. Now I have one. I want to show him that I can actually speak coherently. I had a similar reaction when I met Staurt Spector several months ago. The diffence was that it wasn't a suprise encounter. Stuart was awesome, I ended up hanging out with him for about three hours. I called the shop last week to inquire about something and Stuart answered the phone. He told me that he and his wife watched a movie I had recommended and loved it. I was thrilled that he knows me by name. I'm always afraid that when I meet someone who I admire that they will turn out to be a tool and a real let down. Both of these guys are extraordinary and genuine.

19. pfox14

pfox14

Tony Levin is definitely one bassist I would love to meet. He is totally awesome.