1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

metal pickguard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JIO, Dec 17, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Has anyone made their own metal pickguard? I want one made for my Squier VM Jag P/J, chromed. (I don't want the plastic mirror ones that are available through WD)
  2. Tdog

Tdog

I just finished making a aluminum guard....I had it anodized black. This guard was made from 6061 aluminum and the anodizer said that he could do about 8 different colors, but 7071 aluminum would bing out a richer color.

I don't have CNC tooling, but aluminum is easy enough to work. Cut close with a bandsaw and then sand to shape. I have a vertical mill which allowed me to machine openings for the pickups and critical contours such as neck and bridge cut outs.

Sand to as smooth a surface as possible.....any marks or scratches will be magnified in the final product.
  3. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I made one out of an old street sign.Again soft and east to work with.
  4. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Find a .dxf file for the PG you want and get it laser cut.
  5. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    If I have to I'll end up doing it myself and having it chromed but I was wondering if anyone had found someone/knew of someone who would do this from start to finish for a set cost.
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If it's just the chrome look you want, paint it or get some sticky back vinyl in chrome and stik-n-trim.

http://www.spazstix.com/

Spazstix sells a rattle can of chrome paint that looks exactly like real chrome plating, right down to the yellow cast when the light hits it. I've used it a lot on r/c race car bodies and it's the shiznit if you want "real" chrome on plastic or wood. Just make sure to get the black backer and follow the instructions exactly.

If you want actual metal, here's a good place to get it done.

http://www.emachineshop.com/

They have a free CAD download you use to design what you want, then pick your material and they will do the rest.