1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Metal Rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by bassivus, Mar 3, 2010.

1. bassivus

bassivus

2. bejoyous

bejoyous

Hmmm, never heard of it. Maybe it helps the sound to "cut through."

3. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

I tried it in Germany, and went back to Pop's and Kolstein within two weeks or so. It's not a bad rosin but it is less sticky than Pops and the like.

4. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

I have never tried it, but my wife likes the way the gold rosin works for her violin playing

As with any other rosin, carefully remove excess rosin dust from your instrument, bow and strings after playing. I suspect that the metal particles may lend more of an abrasive quality to the rosin- but I am not certain.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mje

mje

As the particles are gold- I assume gold leaf- they're not abrasive. I suspect they don't actually contribute anything at all to the quality of the rosin. Gold leaf is an astoundingly thin material, and a cheap way to add a veneer of prestige to many products- including food.

7. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    This is the new Leibenzeller then? Violinists used to search high and low for Leibenzeller...a bit gimmicky, but had some devout followers...I never heard of it for bass though.

8. bassivus

bassivus

Interesting. Would you put it in the row of non sticky - non bass rosins like Bernadel cello rosin (also dusty ones) or more like harder, summer grades of bass rosins?
    I have first heard for Leibenzeller from my student who has tried it once (also in Germany) and has claimed it is very strong ?!?

9. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

no, not in my opinion.

This was about 6 years ago so I could not possibly give you an accurate review.

If the formula is the same, this rosin was a soft bass rosin, not a powdery cello rosin. It worked well for solos as it did not tend to cake-up on the string, but it was not as strong as Pop's/Kolstein Soft/Nymann for orchestral purposes. It was pretty good for the first minute but it did not remain sticky for long. Please bear in mind that these impressions are 6 years old.

10. bassivus

bassivus

Thanks! I understand it's an old impression but its precious because its so rare to find someone that has tried it. Probably because it's hard to find and is quite expensive for experiment...
    Here they claim to have two grades of bass rosin: http://www.larica.ch/en/about/index.html
    I'm actually trying to find the formula of rosin that I will not have to throw away after 6-12 months because it has "dried-out"...

11. peterbmetcalf

peterbmetcalf

Hi folks,
    Has anyone tried other rosins such as Pirastro, Tomastik, Melos, Clarity Winter, Millant, and Petz, to name a few. Most of those above are made in Europe; Melos is Greek.

So, I am searching far and wide for the stickiest rosin possible that does not gum up the strings or build up into pimples on the bow when I apply as much as possible. I started using Pop's in 1978, but in 2011 Pop's became more gummy and less sticky. They deny any wrongdoing ;) perhaps the trees are different or the climate has affected their processing. I am in the SF Bay area, where the weather is merely cold and dryer in winter, not too hot in the summer. Pretty nice for stringed instruments and people, really. However, unless I play until the rosin is mostly gone, I am no longer able to get the smooth tone at pianissimo that I had until 2011 and still have the strong grip of the strings when I need it for the most gutsy playing.
    Thanks very much.

12. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

I have a couple of old cakes of Lebezeller Gold and Silver. The cakes are old, so keep that in mind. I think the silver is actually the better rosin, and as has been said above, more of a good solo rosin than anything else. I keep it in the studio and use it for practice. For orchestra I use Nyman/Carlsson's.

I've also used Jade, which is very good, though very powdery. The new Petz Premium is also a very good, soft rosin IMO

Louis