Metal/Surf/Punk Learning Resources

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by viking power, Apr 9, 2014.

1. viking power

viking power

Anybody want to chime in with recommendations for learning and progressing in these styles? I've gone through Dave Elefson's DVD's which were helpful. Looking for other good resources. Book? DVD? Online lessons?

I'm a beginner still in my opinion. I've jammed with other people maybe half a dozen times and have been playing for about a year now.

I want to be able to cover songs really well and also create my own songs in these genres.

Thanks!

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

One thing for sure is that music theory would help you discover what each type of music most often do.

But I can only speak of Metal because I haven't spend time with the others but I'm pretty sure those genre are also very broad. So a lot of sstyle of metal ask different thing from the player, some of wich will require more technical ability than the others ...

also depending of the style within the genre, it may be very boring on bass and will be more guitar oriented ... which I'm pretty sure is where the music is composed. But again you can find style within the genre that is pretty impressive on the bass side

how can you learn those ... well again music theory help, then listen to the music ... and also have some imagination

3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

I'm Country and Praise so I'll not try and get specific in your styles of music. However I have found that music is basically melody, harmony and rhythm. How we mix those three things gives the style. Rhythm perhaps having the most influence on the style.

Once I had the basic how to play down, I then started my theory journey, that led me to technique, and that led me to studying printed sheet music on Country and Praise.

Right now I'm checking the fake chord that we play from with published real book bass clef sheet music for ideas on how and what others have done with this specific song. Like Clef_de_fa infered in his post, lot of my music revolves around roots and fives, I suspect those styles you speak of do also. Less is more does seem to work.

The studying of published sheet music seeing what others are doing seems to work for me right now. Offered for what it is worth.

4. viking power

viking power

Thank you both for the input. Much appreciated.

After some pondering I've set up lessons with a bass teacher. I think having someone with knowledge help me along is going to do a lot for me and save a lot of time.

It seems that when you are trying to learn on your own it can be difficult to maintain structure to your learning. Also, you tend to spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel when an instructor could get you right to the answers.

5. Register to disable this ad