Metal VS wood bridge ?..

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by lets_go, Jan 4, 2014.

1. lets_go

lets_go

Has anyone have any info on this ?
    IM in the midst of playing lots of uprights and DB, but havent found one with a metal bridge.

Anyone play or own one ?
    Whats the sound difference >

2. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

Metal tends to stop the vibration, it mutes more than the wooden bridge. (unless you have pickups) The few vibrations that make it through the solid metal bridge is nowhere near enough to get the sound into the top of the bass to let the sound post and the bass bar do their jobs.

3. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

It really depends on which type of metal. Here's a response from another website;

> Jus' seems like that would be hard to work with...I have enough trouble shaping a bridge to fingerboard shape as it is. And is metal gonna sound any better? Somehow I think not. Depends on what you're going for, I guess.

> aluminum is very easy to work with, soft, dense and doesnt feedback because its non ferous and not magnetic. As for amplification, it is a little quieter than through a wood bridge but my 500 watt amp takes care of that.

You should try jaysin's mark II aluminum bridges, they are good quality,
    contact him at AluminumBassWorx@Yahoo.com if your intrested. Here's some samples of his products,

4. bassguy1960

bassguy1960

None of those links or the email link work for me except the picture of the black bass.

I have a 4-footed aluminum bridge that was made by a luthier in Oklahoma City named Phil Slowey. He passed away a few years back and I purchased all the stock that his family had left (only 8 bridges and no casting molds). I've been using that bridge for 15 years and it's a real nice bridge. I play bluegrass and my bass really projects a lot better than most of the other ones.

5. Register to disable this ad