1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

metal warning...best bass tone so far

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lyes4string, Aug 14, 2012.

1. lyes4string

lyes4string Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist of Warwick Basses
  2. lyes4string

Disclosures:
    no comments huh? figured id at least get a "yeah your bass tone sucks"

3. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

What were you hoping for by starting this thread?

4. lyes4string

Disclosures:
    opinions, critiquing, input

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jlepre

jlepre

7. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

welp, I can speak for the community by stating were very happy for you.

:hyper:

8. THE SAW

THE SAW

OK:
    Nice "TOOL" sounding band. Keep up the good work. Intro to "Devil and Queens" needed tightening up, but a live permormance is what it is. I like the serene part after the intro. Your singer is good, but needs to "fatten" up his voice a bit-I'm not a sound expert but I hope you know what I mean.

You (and your bass) sound fine. Not much more I can comment on. Best of luck, all in all a very good band, I can tell you guys work very hard. The next step is to create an original sound for yourselves.

9. obsidianbass

obsidianbass

I'm digging your tone. Fills the sonic space nicely.

10. smogg

smogg

So......
    fill us in on the signal chain & EQ settings, eh?

11. Nachoooooooo

Nachoooooooo

Sounds pretty brutal. Did you guys DIY or hit the studio?

12. lyes4string

Disclosures:
    the tool sounding stuff is off our older cd put out about 6 years ago the newer song is sheeps and wolves. we've tryed dropping the toolish feel and started going heavier with the addition of a 2nd guitar player.

mostly done the DIY way with help from other local musicians

i run everything through my eq which is pretty straight forward a lot of lows and highs with the mids kinda cut, sourceaudio multiwave distortion and bass envelope, ibanez tube screamer, and a red witch tremelo going into svt 5-pro thru a pr810

13. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

Nice heavy stuff... I'm not really in to metal anymore, but sounds great.

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Awesome bass tone you got there. do you use any kind of effects or a certain preamp to get that sound? also your band sounds awesome. I got a pretty cool bass sound myself. I use multi-effects processors to get my sound. here's a song from my band. I use a zoom b2.1u on this song.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11830518

My band is also available on facebook and reverb nation. here are the links. feel free to check them out.

http://www.facebook.com/twchicago

http://www.reverbnation.com/twchicago

15. Sartori

Sartori

I can't really hear the notes you're playing, even though you're quite present in the mix. It's odd. Then again, it's not really my kind of metal, though you guys play very well.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

If you're talking about me, I sometimes have a habit of shying away the bass track on the band mix. even though I do try my best on making the bass tracks more noticeable, it's not really buried from the mix. plus I do add more lows on the bass tracks just to give it a more warmer sound. I will do my best on making bass tracks more noticeable on the next songs I will be recording. thanks for the compliment on our playing.

17. lyes4string

Disclosures:
    yeah i have to agree it is hard to hear your notes. you're using a 5er i take it, that could have some effect on it, thats another reason why i like using 4 just tuned down to give me the clicky clacky tone.

do you or have you used the bass pod? i used to use a bass pod xt just recently switched back to stompboxes, in regard to preamps and what not, no i simply use my ampeg svt 5 pro and pr810, and i run an eq. i also use a source audio multiwave bass distortion and an ibanez ts808

18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Yes I use a 5-string bass. the strings were actually dead when I've recorded the song. I did change the strings on it not too long ago. also on the song, I've used a zoom b2.1u. I did had a line 6 bass pod long time ago, but not anymore. I've had the original line 6 bass pod and the line 6 bass floor pod. right now I currently own a deltalab dbfx1(great sounding multi-effects processor by the way) and I'm planning on buying a zoom b3 real soon. if anything, I'll re-eq the bass track of that song and try to make the bass track more noticeable.

So you use a source audio multiwave bass distortion pedal and an Ibanez ts808 to get your sound....interesting. I would of thought you would of use like a tech 21 pedal with some kind of distortion pedal. I use to have a hartke bass attack pedal and I've used it with my digitech bass driver. this combination gives me a smooth warm distorted sound. I once used it for recording with my brother's band. other than that, that was my live set-up. right now I own a digitech bass driver and a danelectro cool cat cc-1 chorus pedal for my live set-up. I also own a deltalab dbfx1 which I normally use for recording and sometimes I use it live.

19. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

wrong forum subsection sorry :/

20. Sartori

Sartori

Nah, was talking about the OP, haven't had time to listen to the rest yet. Sorry for the confusion.

21. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Oh so you were talking about something else...okay. well, I've remastered the song anyway. hopefully it sounds better now. the song I've posted is from an up-coming album with my band. the album is almost complete. in case you're wondering, I'm lead singer and bass player of my band.