1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Methods to bring up slow left hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ghostrider, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider

I can play decently fast with my right hand, but I would like to know some effective ways to bring my slower left hand or even some songs that are highly demanding on the fretting hand. Any suggestions?
  2. fearceol

fearceol

Ironically the best way to build up speed is to play slowly and build up the tempo gradually. Play something using a metronome at a comfortable tempo. Then increase the BPM by say ten. When you have nailed that, increase by another ten etc. If you cant play cleanly and comfortably at a given BPM, return to a lower one. After that, it is a case of time, patience and lots of practice.

If you want a good work out for the L/H, get "Bass Aerobics" by Jon Liebman.

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Aerobics-Book-Jon-Liebman/dp/1423495632

I am using it at present and IMO it helps improve the L/H technique. The tracks on the accompanying CD are fairly fast. I usually learn the track first, then use a metronome at a slower tempo and increase it gradually until I can play along with the CD. If you have soft ware to slow down the CD that would be ideal too.