1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Methods to bring up slow left hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ghostrider, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider

Jun 12, 2010
    I can play decently fast with my right hand, but I would like to know some effective ways to bring my slower left hand or even some songs that are highly demanding on the fretting hand. Any suggestions?

2. Sponsored by:

3. fearceol

fearceol Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Ironically the best way to build up speed is to play slowly and build up the tempo gradually. Play something using a metronome at a comfortable tempo. Then increase the BPM by say ten. When you have nailed that, increase by another ten etc. If you cant play cleanly and comfortably at a given BPM, return to a lower one. After that, it is a case of time, patience and lots of practice.

If you want a good work out for the L/H, get "Bass Aerobics" by Jon Liebman.

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Aerobics-Book-Jon-Liebman/dp/1423495632

I am using it at present and IMO it helps improve the L/H technique. The tracks on the accompanying CD are fairly fast. I usually learn the track first, then use a metronome at a slower tempo and increase it gradually until I can play along with the CD. If you have soft ware to slow down the CD that would be ideal too.