Mexican bridge pickup diagram?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KayXero, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KayXero

KayXero

Hey all,

Im interested in purchasing a Mexican Fender Jazz bridge pup (part # 005-8294-000). However, before I do so, I wanted to find some measurements online. Ive only been able to find a general length measurement (3.625 inches), but Im also interested in the total length from first pole to last. As well as the space between each pole pair, and the spacing between the screw pegs.

Is there a resource online where I can find diagrams for this? I havent been able to find anything. Or would someone with this part be kind enough as to obtain the millimeter measurements for me off their bass? Im trying to drop this into a short scale SX (the one with the 2 inch string spacing bridge) and want an idea of the routing which may be involved.

So far this pickup is the only bridge pickup Ive been able to find thats close enough to the 91mm length stock pickup.

Thanks.
  2. megafiddle

megafiddle

That part number is the neck pickup.

That length measurement, 3.625, is what my neck pickup measures on my MIM bass.
    The bridge pickup is closer to 3.75.

I'll post measurements for both as soon as I can locate my metric scale.

-
  3. penguineman

penguineman

my 01 mexican Jazz uses the same length pickups in both the neck and bridge spots.
  4. KayXero

KayXero

Thanks man. I guess the sale listing I saw was mislabeled. I look forward to your measurements.

Ive read that some mexican made jazz basses have equal length in both pups. Mind measuring for me perhaps?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. megafiddle

megafiddle

Assuming that part #005-8294-000 is what I have in my neck location,
    I have the following measurements:

(all measurements are center to center, eg, center of pole pair to center of pole pair,
    or center of screw to center of screw)

outer pole to outer pole - 63mm (these are the very most outer poles)

G pole pair to E pole pair - 56mm

pole pair to pole pair - 19mm

screw to screw, across length - 38mm

screw to screw, across width - 24mm

the pole to pole pair spacing is probably about 18.5mm, not 19mm.

-
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i gotta ask why?

almost anything else is going to be a real upgrade.
  8. KayXero

KayXero

I have size limitations in this SX short scale PJ bass. I want to avoid routing, especially considering the 2inch string spacing on the bridge. If I use a larger jazz pickup than Id need a larger bridge to spread the strings across the pickup poles.

This in turn may also require me to spread the precision pickups a tad. Basically a bunch of routing and drilling I dont want to have to do. I figure the MIMs are a small upgrade over the stock SX pickups (in my experience of both their sounds)
  9. KayXero

KayXero

peeeerrffect bro...perfect fit all across. Though this is the neck pickup, it gives me confidence that 92mm fender jazz bridge pups hold the same measurements. I cant wait to get this mod done. Im sure everyone will be please. Im adding a bridge cover, and carbon fiber vinyl to the pick guard as well.
  10. line6man

line6man

No you wouldn't. The strings don't need to be spaced any particular way, as long as they all fit within the sensing area.

But if you are worried about it, why choose a bi-pole pickup, when a pickup with blade poles would eliminate any possibility of string spacing issues?
  11. KayXero

KayXero

^ Because I have not found such pickups in the length I need without them costing more than my bass.
  12. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Sounds like you need to use the narrower neck-configured pickup in this instance.
  13. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

There are a few cheap 'rail' pickups on Ebay.
  14. Bongolation

Bongolation

It's a nice save when the pickups are routed 3/8" out of center alignment.

[Yes, incredibly, I have seen and worked on such basses!]
  15. KayXero

KayXero

Please link then. As I said, I have not seen such pickups in the size I need. They cannot be larger than 92mm and I wanna stick to brands that have ay least been reviewed here. Cheap no name 8 dollar chinese pickups are not ideal.
  16. KayXero

KayXero

? I think you missed the part where someone said they had equal sized jazz pups. Also, there does exist bridge pups in the size I need, even if the selection its not huge.

Lastly, why would I use a neck in the bridge position? The two pickups have different windings and tones. A PJ bass is supposed to have a jazz bridge pup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.