Mexican Fender Jazz Bass(maple fretboard) upgrades

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by harlemhip, May 15, 2012.

1. harlemhip

harlemhip

hi! i have a Mexican Fender Jazz Bass(maple fretboard) and i'm not very happy with its natural sound. i wanna change the pickups and the pre amp. i would be really grateful if you guys could help me attain a round and low heavy tone as the maple fretboard takes care of the highs(especially when i play harder) . this bass is mostly for live gigs and i play in a rock band that needs a solid low end holding the groove.
    thanks a ton guys!

2. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

what strings and amp are you using?

3. harlemhip

harlemhip

im looking to change them too,been using ernie ball round wound 40-100' and i have a fender rumble amp.

4. FVESTRINGER

FVESTRINGER

Slap some DR strings (I prefer Lo Riders on my old Mexican Fender Jazz) and see if it makes a difference. If you still don't like it then change out the pickups.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Down & Outman

Down & Outman

IMHO, a bigger amp with more guts in the speaker dept will give you the low end you crave.

7. Mykk

Mykk

This is a long shot, but seeing as how I just did something similar on a Squier and was really pleased with the results. Perhaps try wiring the pickups in series and see if that better suits your taste.

Otherwise, on my MIA Jazz with a maple neck I use EMG actives, a BQ-A onboard pre with 18v. That is my main, #1 go-to bass for everything.

8. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

I just put EMG JX pups in my MIM Jazz. I have a rosewood fretboard though. I switched the stock strings out for D'Addario Chromes.

Through my Acoustic B200H/B115 rig at gig volumes, there are so many usable tones from my bass now.

9. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan

I'd recommend changing the amp/speaker combo as well to make the biggest difference, but if these are the cheap ceramic designs used in the MIM models, you would probably benefit by changing those out as well eventually. The speaker needs to be producing those lows and you need to have an amp to push a capable speaker, so swapping pickups isn't going to get you where you want until you have the setup you need.

10. harlemhip

harlemhip

Thanks a lot guys,but in India the event organizers always provide the over all sound for the gigs,so I can't control what amp I get as carrying it around is a big pain and in general the sound of this bass lacks a lot of lows as compared to my fender deluxe active jazz bass. I wanna keep the passive vibe happening,but I need more lows. Do you guys suggest bartolini's or delano's. I'm very bad with this and I really appreciate all of your help.

11. morewattsplease

morewattsplease

Never tried delanos but my bartolinis are awesome. but like I said never tried delano.
    Also, I have an 18v aguilar 2 band in mine, and it still holds onto the passive feel really well. and one notch on my bass boost has my garage rumbling. Its cool if you want to stay passive, but not all active systems are going to make you sound quite so active.

12. harlemhip

harlemhip

Thanks a ton. This really helps!

13. drskaff

drskaff

Bartolini Pickups with an EMG EXB tone pot.