1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

mexican "vozarrona" or "león"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tambourine, Nov 29, 2012.

1. tambourine

tambourine

I haven't decided yet which will be my first bass instrument.

What do you think about this folk bass guitar, called "vozarrona" or "león":

As you could see, Mexican león (plucked with a pick) is different from Mexican guitarrón.

2. LoTone

LoTone Gold Supporting Member

It looks like the dude's bass is made out of adobe clay...

I never seen a guy play up in the upper register with so little treble. This thing must be like a gigantic subterranean mudbucker!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Looks interesting, but it would have been better if I could have actually heard it.

4. leona1

leona1 Supporting Member

this instrument comes from the son jarocho tradition from Veracruz, Mexico. La Bamba (Ritchie Valens - Los Lobos) is the prime example of this music. check out groups like Son De Madera, Mono Blanco, Chuchunbe, Cesar Castro on youtube. the leona is carved from a solid block of cedar and fingerboard, soundboard top and tuners added once body is complete.no trussrod in the neck!I collect and play these instruments. will try to post some pics soon. never thought to see the word "LEONA" here on talkbass. also, look up Laura Rebolloso on youtube. she is one the the best leona players in the tradition right now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Subscribed out of curiosity :)

7. ntenny

ntenny

I don't know if it was the instrument or the recording, but it seemed like the sound didn't have much pitch information---almost a percussion instrument. It's an interesting instrument but I wonder how adaptable it is to styles other than the one in which it was born.

Certainly very different from the guitarron. I found a three-part article at http://www.cincinnatiearlymusic.com/jarana.html that discusses the instrument and its construction. Interesting stuff; thanks for bringing up the topic!

-NT

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... seven-fret neck and strung upside down. Might take some getting-used-to. I like the "rustic" fit and finish.

Here's another clip. Jump to 4:35 for best results.

9. tambourine

tambourine

Can you hear it...

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, I heard that! Sounds killer.

11. Oracle

Oracle Banned

Very nice..is background real birds?

12. ntenny

ntenny

Is it really strung upside down, or is it just like the guitarron where the first string is dropped an octave? Looking at the clip you posted, I got the latter impression.

Now that I've heard the additional clips, I definitely want one. Maybe two or three in different sizes. Who's up for placing a group order to a luthier in Veracruz? :)

-NT

13. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    You can have my place in line.

14. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    Watch the guy in the clip. Look at the oil staining on the fretboard. He's using only two strings. I'll bet he's considered a virtuoso, too.

15. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

tambourine, where are you in Mexico. There is a very good builder in Merida, Yuc you could get in touch with