Meyer cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by prockenklang, Sep 27, 2004.

1. prockenklang

prockenklang

I am going over to a sound company here in Monterey in the next day or so to try out some Meyer cabinets! I have played several gigs through their complete PA and monitor rigs,but never just as a bass rig. If they sound as good as everybody says,I will most likely bite the bullet and buy a UPA-1(powered single 12 w/horn),and a USW sub(powered 2x15),or maybe a CQ-1(powered single 15 w/horn),and a 650 sub(powered 2x18).
    Has anybody gotten to personally play through one of these rigs?

John

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

no,

but a few of us have heard Anthony Jackson rock out thru one. you are a very lucky man.

3. prockenklang

prockenklang

How did Anthony's rig compare to all the other bass rigs that you heard that day?

4. brianrost

brianrost

A pianist I've played with is a Meyer rep and he uses one of those UPA-1 cabs for his keys. Wow!!! Not cheap, he told me it's about $2K for one? He got his for cost :meh:

Are you really serious about carrying a powered 2-18 sub? It must weight about 200 pounds!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. prockenklang

prockenklang

The UPA-1 retails for $5310.00!! As far as the sub goes,I think I would rather have the 2x15,but I am going to try both.I realize that it is heavy,but if it sounds great,I don't much care how much it weighs!

John

7. basicallybass

basicallybass

What you're talking about is my dream rig...and have never played through this exact system...BUT have used several different configurations of Meyer when touring/one nighters and I can say w/ confidence: ALL configurations that I have been lucky enough to run my bass through have been beyond any 'bass guitar' systems I've experienced. And believe me, I've owned the supposed 'best' of those products out there; and its not even fair to compare the two, (especially in sound pressure/levels...while retaining crystal clarity). Worth every penny if you've got it to spend.

8. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Meyer has an office in Nashville inside SoundCheck. Buford Jones runs it (engineer for the quad versiom of Dark Side of the Moon). I heard their line arrays after the Summer NAMM show and saw a humidity control on the control box. I've heard the systems a lot when I lived there (my friend works for them), and they just put sound into the air. Like you said. Unlike anything else. The only bass speaker I'd say is similar is AccuGroove. John Meyer is a genius. I've said elsewhere that the big boxes come with heaters and air-conditioners ($70,000). :D

Dave "Thunder" Funk

9. basicallybass

basicallybass

It's funny you should mention Accugroove. Mark builds a nice box, BUT...(case in point); I was using a Whappo Jr. on a gig I had in Orlando 'bout a year ago. Turns out the facility hired a fine company (the name escapes me) but I was 'issued' two Meyer floor monitors (1 12 in each...powered, of course) as well as being about 25' from the Meyer side fills. To make a long story short, it was a LOUD gig...I actually had to motion to the sound guys to decrease the volume on the floor monitors, because I couldn't hear the Whappo at 5' behind me (and I was near distortion levels for the cab - using a Crown Macro 2400)! To top it off, the Meyer's speakers didn't even seem like they were moving! Sick. I don't know what those guys are doing there at Meyer Sound, but...it think it really IS rocket science!

10. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

I'm intimately familiar with just about every Meyer speaker. I spent several years as a systems engineer for a touring company that primarily used Meyer. For my ears Meyer's cabs are probably the most articulate, coherent and musical concert sound systems out there. I know for a fact that any properly set up Meyer system has considerably better phase coherence than any other PA system I've encountered and gobs better phase coherence than any passively crossed over system. A properly tuned Meyer rig sounds like a big set of studio monitors. I always find that I can get a really nice bass guitar sound in the mix on a Meyer system.

As for use as bass rigs? If you want an extremely accurate representation of the input signal you won't find anything better. A UPA-1P and A USW-1P would likely be adequate for any gig anywhere. I would consider a 650-P to be overkill for a bass rig (bloody pricey and heavy too). I ran my basses through a Summit tube mic preamp into an older, non-powered USW+UPA1 once, years ago. I thought it sounded pretty amazing, but a bit too clean for my tastes. Of course, I like the sound of an SVT and an 810 so take that for what it's worth..:D

If you're into super accurate, you'll probably love playing through Meyer cabs. Better get the checkbook ready. :D

11. BigWave

BigWave

Where did you get to play through the Meyer system? Around here somewhere?

12. jobu3

jobu3 Supporting Member

I NEVER want to see another Meyer thread again. I really want to be done buying cabs! :ninja: :scowl: :help:

13. basicallybass

basicallybass

Yeah, I can just about buy any piece of gear I need, but I don't have Meyer. I'm lucky enough to use their stuff, along w/ Clair Bros. on gigs that require that kind of volume, so I'm not gonna plunk down $10,000 for a couple of cabinets when for the most part, I'm PAID to use their gear when they're available and/or required.

14. prockenklang

prockenklang

A few years ago I played at the Maritime Hall in San Francisco.Their whole PA and monitor systems were all Meyer and sounded amazing! There have been other times around the country,but that was the first all Meyer system I had ever played on.

John