MF SDOTD, Aphex Optical Compressor - $100

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by brendanbassist, Dec 25, 2012.

1. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

2. tuBass

tuBass Supporting Member

ordered one this morning!
  3. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Thanks OP. I picked one of these up as well.

Got the delivery and experimented with it yesterday at the house. Very effective compression while remaining transparent. Gigged with it today and it got the job done well when used as an effects pedal. I started to use it as a DI but quickly bailed on that idea when it was apparent that it had poor sound quality in that department. Much noisier than even a cheap DI.

I'm curious if others have the same issue with it as a DI or if I may have gotten a bad unit.
  4. tuBass

tuBass Supporting Member

i used mine this morning as a DI at church and thought it sounded great. I'll do some more A/B ing and see if anything changes that
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. invalidprotocol

Thanks tuBass!
  7. tuBass

tuBass Supporting Member

I've used it 4 times now, three times with DI and once using the 1/4" output before a different DI, and I an't hear any difference in it. It seems like a really good DI, so if yours is giving you problems, you might want to exchange it.

I will say that when i turned up either the input or output volume controls much past 1:00 I got some distortion I wasn't happy with, but it still has a strong enough signal that it give plenty of headroom for whatever system I'm going into.
  8. invalidprotocol

Thanks for the additional feedback. I am going to test further as a DI under different conditions. I used it again this Sunday behind a DI and it sounded clean as can be direct through the house. No noise or distortion. I do notice a little hiss at higher settings through my GK combo (which doesnt have an effects loop) but not through the church house. I'm still experimenting with the settings but this time I think I had the settings about right. Just trying to take the edge off of the dynamics. It does a good job, its just ugly to look at.

BTW, shouts from 15 min down the highway!