1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MIA 60th anniversary jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thorne_92, Apr 11, 2014.

1. thorne_92

thorne_92

Hey guys so I need some help with identifying a bass. I'm currently looking to trade my AM std P bass for a jazz and advertised it online to which I got a reply from someone asking me if I would be interested in a trade for a MIA 60th anniversary jazz now I don't really know a whole lot about basses and thought someone more knowledgeable than I would be able to see if this all checks out and actually is what he says. Here are the photos I was sent. Really appreciate it guys

Attached Files:

2. thorne_92

thorne_92

More photos, I'm going to check it out tomorrow night but just wanted to make sure everything checked out before I went

Attached Files:

3. Wallace320

Wallace320

2006 was Fender Musical Instrument Co. 60th anniversary, but
    nothin' more than that down to a merely standard Jazz model.

If memory serves, maybe blizzard pearl finish was nearly FSR, but I repeat: bass is an ordinary USA Jazz.

No Jazz bass before '59/'60 prototypes, so a proper 60th anniversary Jazz bass doesn't exist yet (remember 2010's candy apple red "50th anniversary" Jazz bass)

Maybe yours was not even touched so it's like a hidden jem, but think about it like an ordinary USA Jazz bass that should be priced accordingly

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Can't see the color too well on my crappy work monitor. The color may be Inca Silver and not Blizzard Pearl. I don't when Fender stopped using Inca Silver but Blizzard Pearl was a standard color on all USA Standard Fenders from 2008 to I believe 2012.

Your best bet would be to contact Fender's customer service department. They are extremely helpful and easy to reach.

The serial number does indicate it is a 2006 which match the 60th anniversary date Wallace described above. I think all models that year had the round badge behind the headstock.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

Yes, I'm not sure about what's the exact finish too

if it's blizzard pearl, that's what I was tryin' to say:
    it could be a FSR back then at the very last, other
    than that, it's been a completely standard option.

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

The Jazz appears to be stock, and accurate as described and for serial # ... it would be an '06 American Series bass (no such thing as an American STANDARD from '06), made in May of '06 ... color would be Chrome Silver, paint code 791 ... I cant see clearly from the pics, but it appears to (and should have) the S-1 Switch inside the neck pup volume knob ... as mentioned above, '06 being the 60 anniversary year of Fender, EVERYTHING that went out that year got the dime size medallion on the back of the headstock ... other than year of birth, it means nothing in this (and most) cases ... it has no designation of a 60th Anniversary model ...

8. thorne_92

thorne_92

Thanks heaps guys, really helpful. Yeah he told me that it had the S-1 switch and he also said that it was Inca silver. I'm gonna go check it out tonight and hopefully it's a killer bass. Thanks again guys!

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Inca Silver was not offered on the AmSeries in May of '06, it is Chrome Silver

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Like BIGEJ2 says, Fender U.S.A. will hopefully be able to give you an exact answer based on the serial number. I, too, have had excellent results when reaching out to them. In my case, I asked for specific images/pdf's of some wiring diagrams.

11. thorne_92

thorne_92

Alright well the colour doesn't really bother me, I don't mind it.
    When I go to check it out is there anything I should look for good or bad?

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Definitely play it if you can and make sure everything works.
    If possible, check out the tension on the truss rod to make sure it's good and not maxed out or anything.

13. thorne_92

thorne_92

Sorry silly question but how would I go about checking the truss rod as my teacher has done mine in the past not myself