1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe V is Weak on Volume

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by arcieangelo, Jan 7, 2013.

1. arcieangelo

arcieangelo

Greetings.

I also posted this in the "guitars" forum but I believe this is also an appropriate place.

I recently bought a 2012 MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe. I love the neck and tone but noticed a significant drop in volume compared to my other guitars. I performed an
    "A-B" comparisons with my Yamaha 5 String (active stock pick ups).

My questions:
    1. Is the MIA Fender Deluxe V known for being weak on volume?
    2. If I were to replace the pick-ups with some hotter ones, does anyone who has done this (to a Fender Deluxe V) have any suggestion? I think I read that Dimarzio doesn't have a pickups to install into this ax that don't require some modifications. I prefer not to have to drill new holes or perform other modifications in case I decide to put the original pups back in.

Any input woill be greatly appreciated.

2. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Make sure first to check if the battery is dead, the pickups heigh, a loosen wire from the jack inside the electronics, a broken jack, i've tried these 2012 fenders, and they have plenty of strong volume.

If you decide to replace the pickups for hotter ones, Try the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, actually, i've done this modification recently on my friend's Fender, here is a Sounclip i made quickly, with no eq or plugins! Hope it helps

https://soundcloud.com/dambass/seymour-aguilar

3. arcieangelo

arcieangelo

Funkyman,
    Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated. I'll have the issues you mentioned checked out. Was the SD Quarter Pounders an easy change-over? Did the screws line up or did you have to do anydrilling or routing? The pups sounded very good and I gotta say, that WAS some mighty funky bass playing.

4. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Yes, i droped them easly on the bass with absolutely no modifications, no drilling, they have standart dimensions for jazz basses, the screws lined up perfectly, but don,t hurry, check first your bass because their pickups are really good, and i always say that every manufacturer put a certain pickup on their basses because they designed them especifically for their instruments, and sometimes when you change pickups, you change the "soul" of the instrument! so good luck, and let me know what happened, and post soundclips hehe

5. Register to disable this ad