MIA Jazz Deluxe V Volume is Weak - Is This Normal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arcieangelo, Jan 7, 2013.

1. arcieangelo

arcieangelo

Greetings.

I recently bought a 2012 MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe. I love the neck and tone but noticed a significant drop in volume compared to my other guitars. I performed an
    "A-B" comparisons with my Yamaha 5 String (active stock pick ups).

My questions:
    1. Is the MIA Fender Deluxe V known for being weak on volume?
    2. If I were to replace the pick-ups with some hotter ones, does anyone who has done this (to a Fender Deluxe V) have any suggestion? I think I read that Dimarzio doesn't have a pickups to install into this ax that don't require some modifications. I prefer not to have to drill new holes or perform other modifications in case I decide to put the original pups back in.

Any input woill be greatly appreciated.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

No, its not known as being weak. Have to ask.... did you put in a fresh battery? Is there an internal gain trim pot that you can adjust?
  3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

The Fender pre amp is not a high boost pre.
    Mine isn't much louder then my passive Jazz & about the same as my P5. I use the passive input on my amp.
  4. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

in passive mode my deluxe is alot weaker then my all passive jazz bass. you have to turn your amp up a bit more.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. arcieangelo

arcieangelo

Eric,
    No, I didn't change out the batteries. I'll slap a couple new ones in this weekend before the gig. Thanks for the input.
  7. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

The purpose of active electronics is to give you more headroom (boost/cut range) in the EQ. In the ideal case an active bass should have the same output as a passive bass.

It annoys me to no end that I can't adjust the low end on my active bass without changing my signal strength, then I have to go fiddle with the compressor, etc.

So if your active bass has a consistent, moderate signal like a passive, be thankful.
  8. ErikW

ErikW

My new Deluxe Active Jazz is the same way. Like others said use the passive input on your amp if you have one and be thankful that it doesn't affect signal strength too much as Rockin Mike said. It takes a while to get used to it. It is certainly not as loud as my passive MIM Jazz in passive mode as Dredmahawkus said. I don't know why. Maybe the N3 pups.