MIA Peavey question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DMQuokka, Jan 11, 2014.

1. DMQuokka

DMQuokka

Hey everybody. I am looking at getting back into bass playing after 20+ years away. I have decided to pick up a used MIA Peavey. Shopping for one is a bit of a remote affair, as I am not near a large enough area to have multiple choices within testing distance. As a result my shopping is mostly going to be done over the internet.

TB has already been of great value to me, I've gathered lots of background info that will help me decide when it is time to actually let go of my money. That includes looking through the owner's manuals at the Peavey site. But there is something I can't find and so am hoping some of you can fill in this gap.

With the passive MIA Peaveys, there is a lot of info on TB about how they differ. It makes it easy for me to understand why one would, for example, prefer a Foundation to a Fury or vice versa, or a Foundation with with SF to one with VFR PUPs. However I'm not finding that kind of info with the older active models. Specifically, why would one prefer an Axcelerator over a Dyna, or vice versa? I recognize that there were many Dyna variations, so this may not be a simple A to D comparison. But any discussion on differences, from the user's experience, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I have an 80's Dyna and a 90's Axcelerator. They are 2 very different instruments. As far as feel goes, the Dyna is like playing a SR series Ibanez, and the Axcelerator is like playing a Fender Precision (albeit, w/ a very slim neck). The tone of the two basses are quite far apart. The Dyna bass has Super Ferrite pickups w/ a 3-band EQ and an active/passive switch. The Axcelerator has a less sophisticated hi-low boost/cut stack knob for tone control, with VFL pickups and is active only. The Dyna offers more tonal range, and sounds not unlike an active Jazz bass. The Axcelerator is very bright and aggressive sounding, with maybe a touch of hi-fi tone.

Both are excellent instruments, and tremendous values on the used market. You can pick up nice examples of both for under $300 all day long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Peavey Forum 95 is just like a musicman but with 18v pre-amp.
    Very good bass with great tone,solid build and a great player.
    Not many about,I have a musicman as well,guess what one was gigged tonight

4. DMQuokka

DMQuokka

smcd:

Thanks! A fair bit of that was over my head but it gave me enough to do some follow up reading. It really helps. Just an item of curiosity now - if the Dyna is in passive with those SFs, does the tone sound similar to that of a Foundation?

Dave

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DMQuokka

DMQuokka

bassmachine:

Thanks for bringing up the Forum. I mean to ask about it but forgot. When I read through old TB threads, some have said it is like the musicman, some have said it is a single PUP variation of the Axcelerator. But according to the owner's manual, it has a chunkier neck, and from the discussions in TB threads it seems to weigh more.

I did a search and found some other posts of yours on the Forum, very helpful.

Dave

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The Dyna in passive does sound like a Foundation on the low end. The high end seems a bit clipped, to my ears.

Note that there is more than one version of the Forum bass. Active, passive, soapbar vs. p/j pickups. The Axcelerator is lighter because the body is chambered. I don't believe they did that on the Forum.

8. Major Softie

Major Softie

Multiple versions of the Foundation too: not just Foundation S (both active and passive), but the two different pickups depending on year.

I have a five-string Foundation with the modern pickups, and a fretless Foundation (and a Patriot, and a passive Dyna) with the SF's. Unfortunately, that doesn't make for very perfect comparing, but I can tell you that they both sound very good, and not that terribly different. I think the SF's got much of their reputation not because they are better than what followed, but because they were so good "for the time."

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Nobody knows more about Peaveys than smcd. Take what he to say as gold.

A US Peavey will be a great buy, they are such a great deal on the used market. My only fretless is Foundation I got for $150 used.

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Kind words, and much appreciated:), but in all honesty there are others on TB that know a lot more than I do.

11. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

My 1992 Foundation with super ferrite pickups just sold on ebay for about $175. Great condition with original hard shell case. So that would be a current price. These are great buys

12. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Really dig my 1985 Foundation...I always liked the look of a solid black body with solid maple neck and when I picked it up for the first time and it did not weigh over 10 lbs, I bought it on the spot.

Mine has very little wear and the trussrod needed very little adjustment.... but I had to take a bit of wood out surrounding the trussrod access but the trussrod adjusted fine.

I really like the 2 piece solid maple neck on Peaveys....extremely solid and the SF pickups are outstanding...with my Eden Metro I can get very close to a Rickenbacker sound too which I thought was way cool.

Doubtful if I ever part with this bass as the neck is just killer after I sanded and dressed it out....as I said, the 2 piece necks on Peaveys are extremely solid.

Some of the early Peaveys are heavy though....if this is an issue, I would request any bass to be weighed first.

I am on the lookout for an 80's mahogany Foundation next.

13. DMQuokka

DMQuokka

Thanks - this trivia will stick in my head!

All comparisons are useful - thank you.

Woody, Tim, David - thanks for the insights, they help.

Dave