Mic Cab, DI, or Both?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bareass, Oct 24, 2012.

1. bareass

bareass

Hey all,

I'm getting into a new band, who plays wedding/parties ect. and run IEMs. and FOH. I'm wondering if you think i should mic my cab, or just DI/signal off the back of the amp.

for that matter, what are you experiences just running a preamp/DI and not having a cab on stage when using IEM. I'm concerned that i won't be able to feel the the bass...

thanks

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

For me, in that situation, I'd go DI.

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

In that situation, if the PA is decent and everyone on stage is using IEMs, I'd just use a preamp or DI.

4. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

use a DI...but look at the million and one other threads answering the same question...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

I prefer a "healthy" stage volume. And a miced cab. I dont have all this expensive riggage just to look at. I also like to feel bass.

But you gotta do what's right for the gig. So the d.i. may be right. That was hard to say. I feel a bit sick. Go with what your gut says. If your more comfortable playing when you can feel yourself, stick with it. You'll play better if you comfortable.

7. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

That depends a lot on what sound you want. If I was using just one bass, no effects, the eq set flat into a neutral sounding cab - Then I'd use the DI.
    But if you do use effects, and your amp/cab is a big part of your sound, then I'd use the mic.

8. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

+1

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

10. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

This ftw.

11. Baker69

Baker69

I would just DI off the amp, but equally it is important to get a good 'feel' on stage so your backline amp needs to be of a reasonable volume that you are happy with but not so loud as your DI'd sound cannot be put in the mix.

My own personal preference is for my main bass sound to come from my stage amp with some DI'd sound coming out of the main P.A. to complement it. ;)

12. bareass

bareass

this is typically how i do it too. but the stage volume is so low i don't want it to be all bass.
    the band is going from a band with no bassist at all, to me! just trying to make it an easy transition

13. Sahe_Bassist

Sahe_Bassist

i agree, unless its vitally important to have your amp use a DI/pre-amp pedal. your using IEMs anyway.

what is everyone else' setup? are they using amps/stage monitors along with the IEMs? if not, i would say keep the stage clean and dont even bother with an amp.

all that said, ive never used IEMs where everyone had them and gone "amp-less". i imagine it takes some getting used to, but think of how much less stuff you have to load in/out.

my .02, and good luck with the new band

14. bareass

bareass

Thought I'd give an update for searching sake.

I brought out my amp and went straight off the back (no di yet) and decided to turn the volume completely off!
    The guitar players are micing their cabs with shields, and the drums are shielded too. Keys are obviously direct.
    Sound wise, I couldn't hear my can at all, so didn't find a point to having any volume. I was running the output pre eq, but am now post eq, with my eq set mostly flat. I just wanted the signal to go through the preamp to warm it up a bit.
    This is just until I get myself a Reddi

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Correct answer ;) Have never done an IEM gig, but the only way I could see myself being happy through it is with a REDDI. I'm a cab mic lover too, but the REDDI's finally made me happy with a DI line.

16. ggunn

ggunn

Sometimes the XLR out of a head will cause a 60Hz hum/buzz in the PA that you cannot get rid of no matter what you do. Have a mic as a backup if you go this way.

17. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I love both but it's rare that I ever get to use both since it only makes sense if you have a digital console (or outboard box) that can phase align the two signals.

If I was a heavy effects guy I would choose a mic since the speakers dampen some of the harshness of overdrives and other effects. If I was a mostly clean player I would choose a DI for the cleanest full range signal possible.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know if that's true. I've blended two signals before many times and have rarely had to phase align. Once in a while I do, most of the time I don't. Usually I can just change the EQ on one or the other and it stops phasing.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

If you really like the tone of your rig and you have a real good mic, use it. Otherwise DI and make sure you have a good soundguy.

20. ekikoo

ekikoo

We're just about to have our first gig at a small venue in which we're going to use our amps alone. However I bought a Zoom B2 which goes into my HA3500 to colour the sound a bit, a few distortion patches will be used. But if the time comes that a venue has its own larger PA-system, what would happen if we just took the DI out of that Hartke head, having that effects pedal in input? (I don't own a di.box now, nor does B2 have balanced out). Not too experienced with using effects in those conditions...

edit: Of course the patch volumes have been set to somewhat match each other :--b

21. lustersilk

lustersilk

I do both, when given the time and opportunity. I mic using a Shure Beta 57 and DI from my SANSAmp BDDI. I have both of these XLR's ready for the sound man. If I can only use one, I use the DI feed.