Mic Connection

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by KingDavid, Jan 11, 2014.

1. KingDavid

KingDavid

I am thinking of getting a Shure SM-57 or 58. However, it has an XLR and I am not good with recording setups, I only produce. So, I was wondering, what is the best and cheapest way to setup a mic? I want it linked to a DAW straight from the mic, if possible. At least, it would be the easiest for me.
  2. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

You want to use XLRs because the connection is balanced so it won't pick up noise or electrical interference. To use any mic with a DAW, you'll need an interface which contains A-D converters to get the signal into the computer. There are lots of products available to choose from.
  3. KingDavid

KingDavid

Like I mentioned, I'm not the best with studio. What do you mean by A-D converters, and there specific companies that make these?
  4. KingDavid

KingDavid

5. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

AD converter means analog to digital converter. It converts a signal from the bass/mic/etc to a signal your computer can interpret.
    Sound cards in PCs have them built in, but you can also get outboard sound cards with XLR Jack sockets.
    You can also get XLR to 1/4" or XLR to standard audio jack cables in order to use a card that doesn't have an XLR socket.
  6. KingDavid

KingDavid

So, you're saying, that I need to buy one of these converters, with an XLR input, to transfer the signal from the Mic to the DAW? Also, I'm planning on using a laptop, as it is more portable and I want to set the mini studio in my garage. So, does the ADC HAVE to be hooked up to a PC, or are there converters that are standalone?
  7. mellow yellow

mellow yellow

If you want to record with a mic into a computer (laptop or desktop) you have to use an audio card (that obviously has AD converters to convert analog signal to digital signal) but first of all you have to have a mic preamp. If you buy an AD converter and you don't have a preamp so you'll buy one. This preamp could be into the audio card itself so you'll connect the mic directly to the audio card mic input, or a separate unit, so in this case you have to connect mic to preamp input, and preamp out to audio card line input, because the output of a mic preamp is a line level so higher than a mic. Avoid to connect preamp out to mic input, in this case you'd preamplify 2 times the signal. For example for a basic and very cheap setup the new Steinberg UR22 is an audio card with 2 mic/line inputs (with mic preamps inside) that work as AD converters, other than 2 DA (digital to analog) converters for monitoring purpose. other than audio card and a laptop you have to have a pair of headphones and/or a pair of monitors.
    If you want to improve the sound there's literally an ocean of possibilities outside. with an audio card as steinberg (or focusrite scarlett to say another one) you stay in a USD 150/200 range, I think (I live in Italy and prices in euros are slightly lower), steinberg UR22 includes a very interesting scaled down version of its highly acclaimed software Cubase. IMHO it's quite a bargain.
    Good luck
    Ciao
    Roberto

8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You want an interface. Go to any music gear website and search for interface and it will bring up what you need.

I also suggest you go to the Recording Gear forum, this forum is for Recordings themselves.
  9. KingDavid

KingDavid

Thank you, I will see what I can do! As for pricing, what would be the best Preamp for the money? I am very limited on cash and I have to be careful with what I spend. Is there any way to find out if my audio card can convert the signal to digital? I want to use a laptop, and it would not be in my interest to take apart a laptop, or drag my PC into the recording room.
  10. mellow yellow

mellow yellow

The price of an external preamp may vary from 80 USD per channel to 3.500 USD per channel (as the acclaimed Neve 1073) I strongly suggest you to use an audio card that includes mic preamps because a 80 USD external preamps it doesn't sounds better than the equivalent in a 150 USD audio card. In this way you have to buy only an external audio card (as I suggested in my previous mail) as Steinberg Ur22, or Focusrite Scarlett, or something from Avid/M Audio.
    By the way a simple 1 channel mic/line preamp that I've used to use is Golden Age Pre 73 MK II, is a chinese clone of the 1073, here in Italy with a price tag of 300 euros so I figure USD 350. It was a good preamps to my taste, not a Neve or a Millennia but usable. Another very good external preamp, a bang for the buck, is FMR Audio Rnp, 2 channels mic line preamps from Texas.
    These days I haven't a studio, anymore, and I use a little Zoom H6, it's a portable 6 tracks, it has 2 condenser mics, it's an audio card (with mic preamps) it's so many things, check it out. Its audio quality is good.
    Ciao

11. KingDavid

KingDavid

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will see what I can do. I want to record ASAP, but I heard that you need 2 mics for stereo recordings. Is that true? Also, does sound quality depend on mic, card, cable, or all factors make the quality?

12. KingDavid

KingDavid

Also, how can I find out if my audio card is an ADC?-
  13. mellow yellow

mellow yellow

yes

An audio card is obviously also an ADC.
    I don't intend to offend anyone, but I suggest you to read something about recording, there's so much books, especially for newbies.
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Well, stereo is 2 channels. Left and Right. That can be done many different ways and is hardly needed for recording bass.

So as mentioned in the OP, you're a "producer" huh? :ninja:
  15. KingDavid

KingDavid

I'm young, I produce at home by myself. I'm 100% self-reliant on everything I know. I got to back up my own knowledge with people who dedicated their life to this job. And for recording, I also want to record a guitar via mic. That's why I want stereo, as well as for vocals.

I'm sorry if I seem stupid, I never knew anything about studio recordings and setups. It's just something new I wanted to do. I'll look into any other information possible about studios.
    Like I said before, I'm new to this, sorry.