Mic Stand Question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BobKay, Jan 30, 2014.

1. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

First, I realize this question isn't specifically related to a DB, but I know that many of you on the forum have years' of experience playing on stage, in bands, and working with sound systems. So I thought I'd ask here:

I play two nights per week with a guitarist, and run my vocal mike through his PA. My DB goes through my own AI Coda.

My mike stand transmits any time I touch it. Flick it with my finger and we hear it through his system. I'm using a Hiel vocal mike, but it does it with a Shure as well. I can "play" my cup holder that hangs on the stand like a washboard. Kind of reminds me of how "microphonic" the cable was when I tried the EAP pickup.

Is it likely a ground issue somewhere in his system? Anyone have any suggestions?

2. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Perhaps I should have posted in Miscellaneous. Perhaps the moderator could move? My apologies.

3. Phil Redman

Phil Redman

I've noticed that the Heil PR30 picks up a lot of noise through the mic stand. Much more than an SM58 for example. I think the PR30 does not have the same kind of internal shock isolation that the SM58 has. I tried using the PR30 mounted in the bridge on my bass in the same way you would with a SM58 and it was a disaster -- just a bunch of handling type noise.

4. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Thanks Phil.
    I'll try the Shure again tomorrow night to see if there is an appreciable difference. I am using the PR30 as the vocal mic. I haven't used the Shure in quite a while.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phil Redman

Phil Redman

Just to clarify, I normally use the PR30 as a vocal mic as well...and it does pick up lot's of stand noise. I find the PR30 to be bit more articulate than the SM58 however. It has better clarity and requires less EQ than the 58 for me.

7. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

I played with a guitar player who used a PR40 as a vocal mic and that mic picked up all kinds of signal through the mic stand. Eventually we had to use the spider shock mount from a LDC to isolate it. It looked kinda lame but it worked great.

The PR30 is a hand held form factor so maybe try a more isolating mic clip like this - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=CKadwYDGprwCFcx7QgodCksAJg

-Jeff

8. jrlynch

jrlynch Supporting Member

9. neddyrow

neddyrow

What kind of floor are you playing on? Do you have rubber feet on your stand?

I had a similar problem once. One of my stands lost rubber feet and on the hard tile floor, the mic was super sensitive.

Maybe that helps maybe not. Good luck.

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
  11. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My stand does have rubber feet. Both venues are bars with concrete floors. I think I'll try one of the Wind Tech isolation holders and see if that helps.