Michael Anthony was a lucky bass player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DrumsAndBass, Sep 28, 2011.

1. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

I was really devoted to the sound of Van Halen in high school. And then I developed an appreciation for Michael Anthony in the band. His backup vocals were crucial to the band's sound but also his bass playing. He held down the songs with Alex while Eddie and Dave did their bits. Now, I'm not commenting on his live bass solos I'm referring to his ability to not only keep up with Ed and sing at the same time but make the songs cooler sounding. For example, in the early days of their live shows around 1981-1982 Mike's playing was quite melodic throughout the songs. Mike had a formulated role for his bass lines on the albums because it was meat and potatoes bass playing. Yet, that must have required quite a bit of discipline on his part. Well, there is so much to say about that band. I admire their music as a whole. It would have been extremely fun to be the bass player under Eddie Van Halen.
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

There were lots of bass players playing the LA club circuit back in the '70's that could have been in VH. Although he was a solid player, Mike's backing vocals really cemented the gig for him.
  3. TinIndian

TinIndian

Agreed. His bass playing is not spectacular, his background vocals are exemplary and his range is what really makes him.
  4. Rockmusician

Rockmusician

He is good enough for what they needed. He is no better or no worse than most other rock bassists. I saw him play live and he was pretty good. I never liked his tone though. The thing I always found strange about VH is why didn't they just have Michael sing lead vocals and have to deal with Dave's drama? He certainly sings well enough to carry the songs.

I have a bootleg copy of VH playing at Pasadena High School in 1976. They were aweful. It's hard to believe that just two years later, their first album was released.
  5. Dave the Bass

Dave the Bass

Michael Anthony was a huge influence on me as far as singing well while still playing solid bass lines.

I agree that he could have taken lead vocal duties if he wanted to.
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I always felt sorry for Mike ... in many Van Halen recordings the bass is buried. I remember years ago when a band I was in was learning an EVH song. I was trying to learn the bass part but I couldn't hear it. So I had to make up my own and go with it.

I remember trying out for a band in the late 70s or eraly 80s and the guitar player was a former bass player for EVH. The band wasn't very good. Sorry I don't remember any names.
  7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'd have switched spots with him.
    Sans the "old man" bit right now, anyway! :D
  8. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Under is the key word here!
    Having your bass part kept simple and somewhat hidden in the mix so the star guitar player can shine. Not my idea of extremely fun! Still, he did get a part in a major rock band that most of us will only dream of.
  9. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Michael is a lot better anyone is giving him credit for. Go listen to Chickenfoot and see. The
    problem with his playings in Van Halen was Eddie. Period. I would have hate playing bass with Eddie. Fun band as a musician, horrible band for a creative bass player.
  10. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Also big part of it is the hang.. How you get along with the other players..... lots of people dont think about that... they can play circles around anyone have great gear, good time,, but they are morons and always picking arguments.... no one want to hang with that..

Mike obviously had the goods and the hang factor..

11. Audiophage

Audiophage

If anything Van Halen was lucky to have a bass player like Mike.
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1
  13. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

You guys are too nice. He sucked.
  14. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a Real Tomato Supporting Member

How so?
  15. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

The funny thing is that when Eddie played bass on Sammy's album he was all over the place, playing it like a guitard. Apparently his requirement for the bass to stay out of the way didn't apply to him.
  16. Thrust Meatnozl

Thrust Meatnozl

My understanding is that Mike was the lead singer for VH when they were still called Mammoth. Back then a hard rock band pretty much HAD to have a lead vocalist/front man, hence the preening idiot that was Roth.
    I also think Mike is under-rated, btw.
  17. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

Sammy was on the last epsiode of That Metal show and he flat out stated Eddie always asked him to play less. I haven't heard the new Chickenfoot, but Sammy says he kills on it. I think he's underated.
  18. dwm74

dwm74

Michael Anthony lucky? Most of us will never know for sure how good he really is/was, but I'll say one thing...

I'd rather be lucky than good, as long as I had his bank account.
  19. odin70

odin70

He was very very very lucky! Im not saying he is no good, but thousands could easily fill his shoes. Eddie Van Halen on the other side.. will go down in history as one of the greatest guitar players of all time.
  20. Muzoid

Muzoid

Didn't several of the 80's VH albums just have a keyboard bass? (most likely played by Eddie).

To me that's kind of an insult to your bassist.