Michael Jackson's "Beat It" Demo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Mar 28, 2014.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

3. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Holy, Holy Wow. Unbelievable. The man was a visionary…and having worked as an arranger in studio settings, around this time and a bit afterwards, I'm so blown away by the artist coming in with such a fully-realized vision, with such minimal resources.

Incredible…In all of my years on Talkbass, this might be the single hippest thing I've seen or heard.

Thank You, OP!

4. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Cool. Kinda like those Joe Meek demos out there but with singing talent.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 Few people realize how great a song writer he was they just see him as a singing and dancing icon he was an absolute beast in the studio of course it helped to have another genius Quincy Jones along side to help take what was in his head to another level.

7. Milk

Milk

Whatevs. He's worthless, he didn't sing the Van Halen solo to go over it!

(just kidding, I think MJ was great)

8. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Great Demo of a Great Musician, Singer, Songwriter, Arranger

9. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Actually I heard that he sang note for note what he wanted Eddie to play...he even hooked up a whammy bar to his voice.........:bag:

10. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

"This Is It" made a believer out of me. What a talent, and what really impressed me was his leadership vis. working with the musicians, how respectful and courteous he was with them and how respected he was by them. The highlight of that film for me was when he was working with the guitarist (on Beat It), telling her "this is your place to shine!" - and she did!

11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

^ That's what I was going to say. But the part where is working with the keyboardist really amazed me. It is clear that the guy had perfect pitch because he knew exactly what notes were being played. Wow.

12. Mushroo

Mushroo

More evidence MJ was the Mozart of our lifetimes. Thanks for sharing! :)

13. bachlover

Good analogy! Mozart was led around to the courts of Europe by his father like a trained dog a lot like papa Jackson controlled the boys & their act in The 5 but probably to a more brutal extent. I think Mozart would've been the genius he became regardless of his father's controlling his early career. MJ's controlling father might be more likened to Beethoven's whose father tried to beat Mozart's abilities into him so he could showcase his son like Mozart's father to the extent that he would strike Beethoven's fingers with a stick when he made a mistake on the piano. One of the incredible things is that Beethoven continued on despite this treatment and became what he did. Not so sure if MJ would've became what he did w/o his dad's control on his early life. I think it's tragic (and ironic) that the price of papa J's influence on MJ gave us such an astounding talent but destroyed any chance of normalcy in his life & ultimately killed him.

14. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

God, that's incredible. I heard the "Billie Jean" demo years ago, same thing. He sings the melody and harmonies, the beat boxes the drum part and then hums the bass line. On that recording, it sounds like it cuts off right as he's about to do the bass part too. What a genius he was.

15. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

16. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

"As Jackson couldn’t fluently play any instruments...."

That's too bad. He probably woulda been awesome at just about anything. Especially bass with that sense of rhythm he had.

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I sort of have the same reaction to a clip I saw on television awhile back of Bono and the Edge, when SPIDERMAN:BRING ON THE NIGHT was getting put together; they're in the theatre talking about the music with the MD for the band and it takes them about five minutes to talk their way around (sort of more open sound, but bluesy, but this more that etc etc etc) what turns out to be a dominant chord in second inversion.

It's great that Michael was at a point in his career that paying for studio time to sing chord voicings note by note to his guitar player wasn't a financial burden. Somebody brought up Mozart, he could hear full symphonies complete in his head (wrote his first one when he was 8) AND score them out. So he didn't have to hire an orchestra and go around to each of the violinists and violists and cellists etc. and sing them their part until they had it memorized.

18. Mushroo

Mushroo

I'm sure if MJ's dad had whipped and abused him into learning orchestration (instead of how to sing & dance), he would have been a prodigious arranger indeed!

We know Mozart could score an entire symphony in his head, but could he moonwalk??

19. bachlover

Ha ha, more like minuetwalk. Thing about Mozart too, no alterations in his work, nothing scratched out, deleted, what he heard in his head and wrote - that was it, no alterations necessary.

20. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

I thought it was fairly impressive until he got to the full on harmony section at which point I was blown away.

If he would have had a chance to learn theory and notation when he was growing up instead of having to be a child star 24/7, he would have been another Brian Wilson (which is intended as high praise if that's not obvious).

21. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    He's always been one of my favorites. What a talent.