1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Michael Kelly Dragonfly VS Washburn AB10 VS Takamine G series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GuyR, Feb 1, 2014.

1. GuyR

GuyR

Hey what's up guys?
    I am planning to purchase a new acoustic bass guitar (until now I played a cheap oscar schmidt), though unfortunately in my country none of those guitars are available, so i'll have to order them from the internet. The thing is, that i'm not sure what will be the best value for my money. MK's Dragonfly surely looks the coolest, though I assume (due to internet research) that the Takamine G series sounds better. I see the Washburn AB10 as the middle point between good sound and coolness (might be just my wild imagination). So I thought i'd ask you guys for your help and advice !

Cheers,
    -Guy

2. Roadstar

Roadstar

Tell ya what I have [played them all and I regret not having a washburn Ab 10 in the arsenal right now. One eluded by minutes in December and I am kicking myself for just not pulling the plug. it played and sounded the best of all those choices in my opinion.

3. GuyR

GuyR

Do you remember if any of those basses had 2 strap jacks and not just 1? (I hate it when there's only one and you need to tie the other side..)

4. MD

MD

OP, what's your budget?

I've owned a G series Takamine for close to 10 years, the EG512C not the EGB2S. The 512 has a string through bridge as opposed to a pin style bridge on the B2S. The new G series, GB30/72CE also has a pin style bridge. I personally would stay away from the pins. That aside, the G series is a solid, well made ABG. Mine has bounced around in the back of a jeep, knocked to the ground at campsites, has a cracked heel joint, and still has years of life. And, with the high action, can be heard around a campfire with a couple guitars. I paid ~$350.00 on ebay, and there are a couple currently listed in a similar price range.

[​IMG]

I have no experience with the Washburn or MK, but would probably skip both. The MK for the pin bridge and the inlay on the FB, and the Washburn for the rounded back.

Again, coming back to budget...
    I'm very tempted to go for this Breedlove deal, even though I have 2 ABG's already. The Breedlove I think maybe a step above the Takamine; certainly a higher price point.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/acoustic-bass-suggestions-1048493/index3.html

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Yeah that Breedlove is very nice. I would also advise staying away from the pin style bridge. I had a MK and a Tacoma and the Breedlove beats them both quite handily. The Tacoma had more sheer volume but it is so delicate it would never survive what you put your Ta a through.. The Breedlove is very well built sounds great and when you fa to in the cost at TPB with the TB discount and the case and the bass itself with it's great electronics and built in tuner it is a great deal. I like the fact that the battery is very easy to replace. It snaps right out at the bottom. I don't know if the price would be different going to Europe .. but at $475 with the TB discount it is money well spent. The case is very well made as well. More solid than the Tacoma case or the TKl case I had my Dragonfly in.

7. Dr McCoy

Dr McCoy

I own a fretless Washburn AB-20, and I love it. A friend of mine owns a AB-10 I I haven't played it much but he says he plays it more than his MM. The Michael Kelly didn't feel right to me but that is just me. I never played the Takamine but I have read good things about it here on TB.