1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Michaell Glass bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ErikvanD, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Yesterday I was looking at some basses at my local luthier and one bass I liked particularly was a 1996 Michael Glass bass. I searched extensively on the web and TBDB but did not find much. The few posts on TBDB I did find were pretty old so maybe in between someone knows more.

It is a label/brand of the German GEWA company and it's current price new is about 6.500 euro which is just over $ 9.000. So it should not be total crap.

The bass looks very nice. Not the most excessively flamed woods but very well put together with one of the nicest overall finishes I have seen so far. It sounds dark, plays very well and has a lot of volume.

Any information is welcome! Below two phone pics the luthier send me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yonny

yonny

Dec 9, 2004
    Hi,Erik my name is Johnny from Venezuela,in Caracas Im playing with a MG 4stringed, 4/4 gamba shape,made in 80s I think,there are at least 5 of them including 5 stringed,I found they are pretty sounding, very rich mellow and deep,maybe not too easy for play,not particulay nice looking,but for the price.... I know Wilfer and Poellmann that the price is 3 times higher.Myself I´m going to buy the Michael Glass Nr 30,3/4 italian shape,very nice.
    Did you buy that DB?

I'm not able to open your pics

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. flbass82

flbass82 Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Florida
    Not familiar with the Michael Glass, but there are some ply GEWA basses that are used as student rentals around here, and I know GEWA is mainly a producer of stringed instrument accessories.

5. Hi Johnny,

Yes, I did buy the bass and I am very happy with it! It is very well finished, has a nice deep tone and plays very well. More pictures in this thread.

According to info I got from GEWA the Michael Glass basses were made from about 1995 when Michael Glass took over the Rubner workshop. They are hand build in Germany and sold by GEWA. I have only once seen another Glass for sale in the Netherlands.

6. yonny

yonny

Dec 9, 2004
    I think you db is the model MG Nr 5.Mine is :
    thomann.de/de/michael_glass_double_bass_no30_3_4.htm

7. Mine has been identified as "a very early model 20 in excellent condition" by the head of the GEWA bass department.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  8. yonny

yonny

Dec 9, 2004
    Hi,in your feeling your db is the same that this one:
    gewa-kontrabass-meister-michael-glass-modell-nr-32.html

9. Yes, that's the one. I guess the GEWA guy should know. But to be honest, I don't care that much about the actual model number, as long as I am pleased with it... :)