1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mickey Shuman of Queens of the Stone Age

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tmoney61092, May 25, 2013.

1. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

So I've tried searching for more info on how he gets his tone but I've come up short handed, he use to use both an ebony and natural Gibson Ripper, then moved to Epiphone Jack Casady basses and a Gibson EB-2, now he's begun using Fender Precision and Jazz basses along with his EB-2(tuned to E standard it appears), he use to use both a 70's Ampeg SVT and an Acoustic 360/361 setup but now looks as though he plays through something else that I can't quite make out, anyone have any clue as to what kind of strings he uses? also what about pedals? could he get his overdriven/fuzz tone from the tube amps he uses?

seen here with his Rippers and what looks like an Ampeg cabinet:

I'm considering buying an Ampeg V4b to help me get the tubey overdriven sound(currently using a GK 1001rb which is a little too modern sounding for me and has far too much power to give it any kind of natural break up) and running it through my Ampeg SVT-1540he, thoughts?
  2. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

crap, meant Michael for the title, stupid autocorrect...
  3. Low_Ryder

Low_Ryder

I don't know anything about his rig, but I watched that stream on NPR the other night and I thought they were great. It was my first time hearing them, but recently I started watching some Them Crooked Vultures concerts on YouTube, so I was interested.

I kept trying to see what he was playing through, but I couldn't tell either. It looked like a big ole tube amp with a big ole cabinet. I think he had a P-bass.

Good luck.
  4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  5. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    When I saw him he had the classic Acoustic 360 rig and maybe an SVT but it looked like it was just the chassis removed from the plywood box and installed into a rack of some kind. It was running through an 8x10 cab. It was perhaps the loudest bass rig I've ever heard. He played the Gibson Rippers all night. They sounded great but REALLY loud.
  6. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Recently he's been using a P, a J and his Eb2 on tracks like I Never Came.
    He uses an SVT from the 70's that doesn't have a grill.
    Pedal wise you can see an old board of his here:
    http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/thombrady_bass/MikeyShoespedalboard.jpg

He started working with Fender and TC Electronics recently...
    You can check out gear demo vids here:

Along with Rippers he used to play '51 P RI's.

TC has nothing to do with his QOTSA rig.

Arctic Monkeys, QOTSA and NIN are my fav bands and they all have great ties to one another.

I also play similar rigs...
    71 P, 66 J, 74 Gibson Les Paul Sig, 67 Gibson EB2D
    Old SVT, Acoustic 360/361 etc.

Cheers
  7. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Off-topic: Nick Oliveri's better.

On-topic: a beastly tube amp will get you 80% there, and a gritty OD will get you the rest of the way for the particularly nasty songs. I'd think the 1540HE would suit that tone well, but I've no experience with one personally.
  8. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

very cool links! and I'm very jealous of your rig(s) and basses! at the moment I'm wanting to get a V4-b since I've been told they are essentially a lower wattage SVT for cheaper :D and I'm also in the process of building a bass with the similar electronics package as the Ripper and also an EB-2 style bass with possibly 3 pickups(mudbucker in the neck, p bass in the middle, and maybe a jazz in the bridge) to hopefully be able to get that really low warm tone but also have some options.
  9. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

I feel like Mikey's tone is faaaaaar superior to Nicks, and I also prefer his playing over Nick but to each there own!

and yea I'm hoping the 1540HE will help since it's a very versatile cabinet, and I really think the V4-b will be the icing on the cake
  10. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Agree. QOTSA isn't the same without him. When they kicked him out, they lost their second singer, second songwriter, and most interesting live performer.
  11. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

I don't know, Mikey adds a lot to their live performance, from all the live footage I've seen with Nick he doesn't really move around, Mikey puts on a show, and if they let him sing Millionaire then that'd be incredible bc his backing vocals on it are awesome
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dude, have you got it yet? I'm sorry, but the 1540 is not a good cabinet IMHO. I've had to use one a couple times, and they sound boxy and uneven. Always ended up unplugging the 15" and using only the 10"s half. Go all 10"s or all 15"s but mixing sounds blech to me.
  13. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

I've been using the cabinet for about 5 years and have never had any complaints with the sound, I actually had a Mesa Powerhouse 1200 that I had for about 6 months that I sold bc I preferred the sound of the 1540HE
  14. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

I'm loving Mikey's playing and tones on the new QOTSA. I assume it's him on all or most of it anyway.
  15. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

Pretty slick playing with that Jazz bass here:
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry, bro. Thought you were considering it. I shouldn't have said anything ;) If you're happy, that's all that matters.
  17. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

Oh I completely understand where you're coming from though, if I knew someone who was buying an amp or bass that I had owned/played and had a bad experience with then I'd make sure they knew! It's all good :)
  18. PlunkRock

PlunkRock

I dig the dirty tone on the last song there. Rat?
  19. PlunkRock

PlunkRock

20. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Lovetone Big Cheese